48 Continental Rebuilding Master Cylinder.?

Cokekid

While waiting for parts to be delivered I decided to rebuilt my Master Cylinder. After removing the Stop Light switch I am at a lost as how to remove the inner parts. There is a round ring attached to the main body and I was wondering if this has to be removed in order to carry on. 

Has anyone ever rebuild their Master Cylinder.?

1554004234_LINMASTERCYL103736.JPG.69bb82400a6caee4354f064757954b0d.JPG

1944067511_LINMASTERCYL403740.JPG.1e21aea791f6737f3466671b5ab18380.JPG

Gerry

Roy,

I did every thing to remove the outer ring. Heat, Blaster fluid. Nothing worked.  When I removed the Cylinder I used a round piece of wood to activate the plunger  and it was quit strong.

Before giving up I filed the Cylinder with Brake fluid and gave it three pushes in and out and to my surprise all the inner parts came out.

Here is a photo of all the used parts. The one part was caked on with rust as you can see the pile of rust just above it. I will be sand blasting the main body and installing the Master Cylinder kit.

Gerry

795750252_LINMASTERCYLINDER03748.JPG.1860ab04ca92fc95666bd07d4c54282c.JPG

Gerry, cover the access to the interior parts of the master cylinder before sand blasting. Any media that enters the master cylinder will shorten the life of the rebuild. When you hone the cylinder make sure that you do not remove too much material or the rebuild will not last very long. If there are rust pits in the bore of the cylinder, you must either replace or sleeve the cylinder in order to have a reliable master cylinder.

New master cylinders are available at RockAuto.com and other parts houses from around $40 to $85. The Lincoln uses the same master cylinder as the Ford in 1948.

5% Discount Code: F6B561B7EBB9BF    for Rock Auto

Just came upon this thread.....

I have the Master Cylinder -- BRAND NEW --- No core required --- U.S.A. made (DO NOT grab an internet Chineseum ........)

$ 89.00

I have the stop light switch --- BRAND NEW ---

$ 15.00

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.....

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

While waiting for some more parts I was looking at a page in the parts manual relating to the cylinder I am going to assemble when I noticed it showed two parts #2151 & 2152. I cannot find anything that identify's  what these parts are. I am assuming one is the rubber gasket that was in the master cylinder when I dissembled the cylinder. This part came was also in the kit package

1755455654_MASTERCYLINDER_000001.thumb.jpg.1cbd66d5a3e6e009a006c1bf2fff1177.jpg

Before I assemble the cylinder, can anyone explain what these two parts are.?

Gerry 

Larry,

I am a little confused. When I dissembled the cylinder there were no copper washers. My photo shows exactly what was in the cylinder (see my photo above) that I removed for the car. The only gasket was a rubber one which I believe is 2152. The kit I bought had one rubber washer and no copper ones.

Maybe someone who has done a rebuilt can confirm what parts are required to do the job.

Gerry,

First, Sorry if this post is "jumbled " after I  I post it , something I 'am doing wrong.  So my reference is the big parts book , on pg. 11 and 

Macs Ford parts catalog. The parts I'am going to mention are OUTSIDE of the main body of the Master cylinder . The 1st part right at the rear of the master cyn. is - 91A- 2152 ( gasket, copper, .51 ID  /.81OD. The next part is fitting- 96H-2076- ( NOTE- this is a Lincoln part # ,'39-'48. The next 

part is 91A-2151, ( copper gasket, .61ID/.81 . OD, the next part is the special bolt ( 91A-2077). The last part is 11A-13480 or 01A-13480- stoplight

switch. I hope this helps.- Larry

Larry,

I understand we are talking about the the two parts that are stated as copper washers that are listed in the parts book. What I still don't understand is how come I had a rubber gasket attached were a copper gasket should be and why was there one in the kit. 

The Master cylinder made by Wagner in the USA. I think I will follow the parts manual. So I'm off to buy the Copper Gaskets.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry

The copper crush washers are required to get a good seal on the brass distribution block and are never part of a master cylinder repair kit. The rubber washer was installed in error by someone who worked on the car previously and is included in the kit for another application. Including extra parts in a kit is common practice when most of the parts in a kit are used for multiple applications.

Ken.

The Master Cylinder Kit has already been installed and the cylinder is working. I only need the two washers which go on the back end of the cylinder to be able to finish the job.

Craig is selling the Cylinder at $85.00, Which works out to be $110. Cdn and this doesn't including shipping. 

Did you try CARQUEST AUTO PARTS #1652 Markham?

The Carquest and Advance Auto stores near me carry those washers in their bulk supply. If they don't have them in stock, they will order them. Buy them by size, not the Ford part number.

91A- 2152 ( gasket, copper, .51 ID  /.81OD)

copper gasket, .61ID/.81 . OD

I forgot that the rest of the world is on the metric system. try looking for the metric equivalent or go to a hardware store and see if they have any.

It is more expensive, but you can order them at

https://www.grainger.ca/en/category/Brake-Line-Accessories/Automotive-Mechanical/c/23129?isWildCard=false&type=category&q=%3AtopSeller&pagesize=48

If I had a couple, I would send them to you.

• 1 month later...