1933 pd horn???

Crazyred

That is not the original horn. The original usual horn mounted on a bracket bolted on to the head. I have attached a photo taken when I was disassembling my car decades ago. You can see the horn and horn bracket on the head of the engine.

There were optional twin trumpet horns that mounted to the headlight stands (two different types of stands, the standard ones had no provision for the trumpet horns so you need the mounts and bracket if you get the trumpet horns).

00372_s_10ag2mhlku0372.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

Hello,  A original horn in good repair can be heard with no problem.  If you are looking for one I believe I have some.  Don

The stock horn on a '33 Plymouth was a Klaxon 31. See: https://www.ply33.com/Repair/horn I am guessing that it was used on a lot of cars, not just Plymouth. It might be that the mounting bracket was unique to Chrysler products though.

Thanks for letting me know about the klaxon 31.  Is that a oooga type horn?

Also, do you know if the horn I have is adjustable?  It has a screw on top but not sure what it's for. 

20201209_172318.thumb.jpg.2d295083d0a676580206989da24c7773.jpg

DFeeney, i would be interested if you could pm me some details please. 

No, it is not an “oooga type horn”. The Klaxon company made a bunch of different horns over the years.

There is usually a locking nut on the adjusting screw which I don’t see in your photo. So I don’t think that is an adjustment screw. It might just be a screw to hold the cover on. But I have no information on that horn so I can’t say for sure.

4 hours ago, ply33 said:

No, it is not an “oooga type horn”. The Klaxon company made a bunch of different horns over the years.

There is usually a locking nut on the adjusting screw which I don’t see in your photo. So I don’t think that is an adjustment screw. It might just be a screw to hold the cover on. But I have no information on that horn so I can’t say for sure.

Screw is just holding the cover on.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to remove the screw in the center and as dpcdfan stated it is the cover screw.  I cleaned the connections and adjusted the adjustment screw and increased the tone somewhat.  It's somewhat louder but not as loud as a modern horn.  Should they be as loud as a modern horn?  As I type this, it came to mind that I could use a sound decibel app to check the loudness between the two and compare the results.

Dfeeney or Dpcdfan, what does an original horn and bracket cost?

I have never compared the sound level of my '33 Plymouth's horn with a modern car with any instruments but my impression is they are about the same level.

It might be that the horn fitted on your car is designed for 12v instead of 6v which would reduce the sound tremendously (if it would work at all).

Hello,  Over the years I have bought many parts cars and stuff.  About 3 months ago my friend borrowed my box of 4 horns.  He bought one and returned the other 3.  I have looked twice but cannot locate the horn box.  I will look again.  They sell on line in the $125. to $150.  range ,and I would sell mine for $75. Dpcdfan might be a better source.  Thanks,  Don