Auto Related Thermometers

In the spirit of “collection of collections” here’s another group of mine. Early auto related thermometers.  
The first is from the REO dealership where my Dad and Grandpa worked at one time.  Condition isn’t terrific, but remembering it hanging on my Grandparent’s porch is, as they say “priceless”.

The second photo is a framed thermometer with a reverse painted glass picture. The picture in the background gives it a wonderful 3-D effect . The fact that it is compliments of “Barrett Ford” (no relation), made it a fun purchase for me. Note the telephone number, 6-2.

The third photo is a souvenir framed thermometer (postcard size) showing a view of the Hudson River at Bear Mountain, NY in the 1920’s. The Bear Mountain Bridge in the background was a bit of a tourist destination at the time. When it opened in 1924 it was the longest suspension bridge in the world, the first to have a concrete deck, and the first bridge across the HUdson south of Albany.  The now better known George Washington Bridge didn’t open until 1931. Any guesses on the cars in the picture?

Bob

CFB394AE-069D-4AF7-9B6E-CA32D8D03713.jpeg

76397740-F62B-4066-B09C-6FCF0531E919.jpeg

3BF9B41A-9422-4E84-874D-6C2488AF0DAC.jpeg

• Like 2

Bob, great stuff!  This one notes a local "Service Station" ( when was the last time you heard that description). the location and building still exist AND they are still doing automotive repairs and selling gasoline. "Service" like those listed on the thermometer are mostly gone - no windshield wiped or cleaned any longer , hasn't for decades.  My grandfather was given the thermometer when he used to get his new 1948 Oldsmobile 98 sedan serviced there. I have some great period photographs of the place in pre WWII era. It was owned and operated by Bennie and Considine. Bennie Dubin was a man short in stature but huge in knowledge on how to repair cars.

FP Termometer.jpg

• Like 2

Walt and Terry, These are very nice additions to the thread. They show two different eras, but also demonstrate how certain items continue to be relevant advertising over the span of decades.

Walt, SERVICE is indeed a thing of the past in most instances where “service stations” are concerned. Far longer ago than I care to remember, I worked for a while at a Sunoco service station. Employees were issued company shirts to “look the part”, and when you worked at the pumps you were expected to wash the windshield and offer to check the oil as well as tire pressure. Since the most common fuel order at the time was “A dollars worth of Regular please. “ (four gallons at the time) the customer did get their money’s worth.

Bob

• Like 2

These forums besides being an entertaining diversion from all the health issues and lack of activity with our old used cars continue to be an excellent history lesson for all reading them , including me! Especially this one because one can see the bits and pieces connected to vehicle history that are now considered "automobilia" and collectable where when they were originally issued they were just either performing a courtesy, an advertisement for a company or some form of decoration . Car hood ornaments/radiator caps/ mascots were a very tiny art form - sculptures to signify a certain make of car and attract people to it. Just like the "Period Images" thread , this is indeed a very real window to the past and its attitude, customs, rituals and even form of dress and what the architecture of a certain era looked like. A visual history tour that is provided at your finger tips that you too can contribute to as you see fit.  Thank you again AACA ( you will see me repeat that often) this is a great service that is being provided to all - not just members, and not just to the USA but to the world.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is my Packard reproduction thermometer that I bought in the late 1980s at a department store, maybe JC Penny.  On eBay it’s often listed as a fine original which it is not by any means.  The fluid in the glass bulb does not work anymore but it still makes a nice presentation.  I had more of this stuff but it had to go when we moved to a smaller place. 

D0FD28B3-0AF7-4F87-83F6-6F26207C343E.jpeg

• Like 2