For Sale: 1953 Studebaker Champion two door sedan - $3,500 - Westport, MA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1953 Studebaker Champion two door sedan - $3,500 - Westport, MA

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/ctd/d/westport-1953-studebaker-2-door/7218132563.html

1953 Studebaker Champion two door sedan, six cylinder, standard overdrive transmission. The engine sounds great and the standard transmission shift smoothly overdrive works fine. I don’t think this will last long at this price, has only 39,123 original miles, if interested give me a call at 774-301-1200. We are located at 956 State Rd., Westport MA 02790

Copy and paste in your email:  4922fb5ec0b5351e8467290ed405e85e@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1953 Studebaker Champion two door sedan.

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT a.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT b.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT c.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT d.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT e.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT f.jpg

'53 Studebaker Champion 2 dr CT g.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, 58L-Y8. Looks like a solid deal on a unique car. If I lived in MA, I'd definitely be interested at that price (if no major rust issues.)

But can you or somebody explain to me the confusing body styling lineup for Studebaker in '53 and '54? That year is known for the legendary and graceful Bob Bourke styling in the Starliner and Starlight coupes, but they also made these slightly different versions, which look stubbier and a little more awkward. I understand why they might need to do that for four door models, but why ALSO some two door models??  Why not stay with the pretty styling for ALL of the two doors?  This car and the Starlight don't look to be all that different in size.

I'd still like to have this car, though.

JamesR

The 1953 Studebakers were the victim of management indecision and dithering.  Originally, 1952, their centennial year, was to receive the all-new cars in the form of the Model N, of which styling photos and documents are known.  These would have been conventionally-styled sedans etc. proportioned on the 116.5 inch wheelbase as is this Champion.    Concurrent to the Model N development, Bob Bourke had been developing a blue-sky-design show car coupe with stunning proportions on the 120.5 inch wheelbase, without any intention it would become a production car.

But, Loewy was aware of it and with some of the more receptive management, pushed to get the coupe into production.  Problem was, some of the basic structural tooling for the Model N already in process.  So, in spite of the completely different proportions, management wanted the coupe's styling features applied to the sedans, not a comfortable fit as you can see.  As it turned out, Studebaker invested in two complete sets of body tooling dies for the 1953 lines: 116.5 inch wheelbase sedans plus the 120.5 inch wheelbase Land Cruiser, an extension of the sedan shell.  The hardtop K-Body and the pillared coupe C-Body on the 120.5 inch wheelbase frame share little or nothing with the sedans. 

Now, Why the odd-looking false door cut-line on the 1953-'55 two door quarter panels:  Once the four door sedan was developed, it was decided to tool a longer two door sedan front door and an insert quarter panel with window to fill the space that would be occupied by the four door rear door, all to save tooling money for a two door sedan-specific quarter panel set of dies.  Results are what looks like a non-functional rear door.  Yes, cheap and cheesy.   For 1955, they managed to cover it with a big chromed airplane-form trim piece, still looked half-vast. 

Hope this isn't too risque for this forum, but Bob Bourke referred to the 1953-'54 Studebaker sedans frontal styling as "the droopy penis models". 

• Like 2

Thank you for that great synopsis of Studebaker history in '53 and '54 era, 58L-Y8. That helps a lot in understanding the strange assortment of models for those years. I pretty much love the looks of all Studebakers,  from beautifully stylish Avanti's to the bold '50's to the odd '52's. When a company takes risks in styling, it means they sometimes will fail dramatically, and it makes you admire their courage. But having different models so similar yet so different, as in '53, never made sense to me.

As it turned out, Studebaker invested in two complete sets of body tooling dies for the 1953 lines

That couldn't have helped them financially. Maybe that poor decision helped push them into being being purchased by Packard a couple of years later? I did read, though, that the beautiful Bourke coupes of '53 had technical problems, though. Something about the heavier v-8 motors flexing the frames or something. I'm guessing the less pretty shorter wheelbase models didn't have that problem, but I could be wrong.

At $3500 this car still seems like a great deal (if not rusted out, which it doesn't seem to be. )

• Like 2

JamesR

The bold styling risk were the result of having the styling contract with Raymond Loewy Associates, who hired many of the most talented designers of the era including Bob Bourke, Virgil Exner and Gordon Buehrig. Loewy was always 'pushing the envelope' pursuing more modern designs and was able to sell management on building them.  The technical problem of the 'rubber' frame was that Loewy was always pushing his "Weight is the Enemy" mantra.  Excess weight, yes; adequate weight for strength sufficient to the job, no.   Its a ladder frame that's only boxed in the front area, no X-member.  I had a 1957 President Classic and the car does have a lightly-structured feel.  They did increase the frame metal gage beginning in 1955 but still no X-member which it needed.

Financially, Studebaker was in a downward spiral even before the dual 1953 body dies: antiquated, inefficient factories but especially labor cost that were out of control, adding 10-12% to the price of their cars versus the competition.  Management took pride in the 'fact' that Studebaker had never taken a official strike (they'd had wildcat strikes).  They had capitulated to what the union demanded each round, being a separate UAW chapter from those in Detroit.  They were beyond its control, aggressively pursued more pay and easier standards, with which management went along.  

Packard was already in trouble before the merger idea jelled.  It was one of the monumental debacles of automotive management history.  Best characterized by two stumbling drunks holding each other up for a while.

• Like 1

Nice unusual car with an excellent story as told here by 58L.  Certainly would fit the bill as a not often seen auto which seems to draw me in like a moth to a bright light.  Hopefully someone can make this car roadworthy again.