Noob - First TC and First Post

I'm hooked.

I received my 1989 16v Burgundy Burgundy TC on my birthday in September a few weeks ago, and I cannot believe how much I am enjoying this car.  23,500 miles, and just passed my mechanic's deep dive with only the power steering having a slight leak, speedometer/tachometer a bit erratic (and off 7mph), timing belt and others probably needing replacement, and the foam liner in my soft top disintegrating.  Otherwise, it's beautiful with the walnut shifter.  I am a small time collector with 9 other cars, and I'm the most pleased with owning one of these 501 in such great shape.  I have a couple of questions, and thanks in advance!  What a great forum.   I'm not a mechanic but am an engineer, so I'll generally follow along.

1. What is the best solution for a seals/gaskets/belts in terms of proactive replacement? 

2. Are there major specific items my mechanic re(check)?

3. Has anyone heard of oil leaking through the cap on top of the engine due to seal failure or another issue?  I have oil on top and unless my engine pressure is crazy high, I assume my oil cap is somehow failing.

Cheers!

Welcome to the group.  very nice looking car.  wish i had it.  I'm not much of the mechanic type but follow instructions pretty well. Also an engineer type.

1. You want to replace the high pressure fuel lines under the hood.  Be sure its high pressure fuel line.  This is a fire danger, don't want that.

2. There are posts on here to fix the port hole window.

3. join the Chrysler TC club and start getting the valuable newsletters.  https://www.chryslertcbymaseraticlub.com/

If I were you I would get all the back issues also.

4. Add your vin to Garnet & Gold.  He keeps vin list CHRYSLER'S TC by MASERATI database of known VIN's

5. Need to condition the leather, especially the seats.  One of the best for our cars is http://leatherique.com/

I would start with 16 or 32 oz bottle of both rejuvenator oil and pristene clean.  I use 2 to 3 ozs per seat several times per year.  Also works on all leather inside the car.

6. If you don't have them, try to get head light covers if available.  Headlights will cost an arm and a leg.

7. If original tires, might want to replace.

8. The original ABS accumulator bulb (black) has the label/writing on the top.  If older than 10 years would be good to replace.

9.  Best to flush the brakes every few years to keep any water out.  Like I do that.

10.  There are many 16v pros on here.  This forum is great.  Knowledgable people willing to help.  Not like other car forums I look at, enough said.

Time for bed working 11 hours again tomorrow.

Bill

• Like 2

Wow, Bill, this is very, very helpful, thank you.  I reached out and joined the TC club yesterday 👍 .  I'm in Charlotte, NC.  Other cars...let's see.  My taste is pretty eclectic, and since you asked: 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V Cartier Edition in Brown; 2002 Miata Special Edition; 2002 Mercedes SLK230, 1993 Nissan Figaro, 1992 Autozam AZ-1, 1993 and 2017 Corvette and Corvette Z06.  1984 Datsun 300ZX.  And a 2004 Audi S4 (oops...bought it with the death rattle).

-Ken

Ken Sandifer

Ken,

Your Royal Cabernet and Bordeaux interior are beautiful.  I have only seen one other that looks this nice in the color combinations and that was at a National TCA Meet in Reno.  From 10 feet the opera window looks like it is the third version and I don't see any cloudiness.  The etching around the edge looks uniform which is the signature of the third version.  Your application has been received and I know that Karleen has already responded to you.  Take Wild Bill's advice on the Leatherique products and it will keep your interior soft and beautiful for a long time.  This vehicle is definitely show material.  On second thought it is award winning material.

Sincerely, Bob, TC America, Inc., Membership Administrative Manager, Florida Regional Director

• Like 1

Bob, thanks so much for the compliments.  This was 30 year owned car until last month.  I made a mistake and didn't post the porthole that was "cloudy", but here is an older picture.  I see lots of porthole threads here so lots of info. 

I just ordered the Leatherique Rejuvenator and Pristeen Clean that Bill suggested and am very eager to get these seats hydrated. 

1989_chrysler_tc_1594820307a68ba71eDFAED797-C2A7-473A-86EE-17FB44E9C3C1-scaled.jpeg?fit=2048%2C1536

As has already been mentioned:

Replace the fuel hoses

Replace the brake accumulator bulb

Go on ebay and look up Chrysler TC valve cover gasket and you will find a listing for the 16V. These are very nice reproduction parts that work better than ANY of the OEM offerings and worth every penny!

Timing belt isn't too horrible and can be easily sourced

Look into cam seals (Rick Diogo of RDI is going to be a good source for 16V parts)

Leatherique for the interior (I JUST started the process on my one car last night!)

The 16V engine is pretty bulletproof if taken care of (ironically I have more experience with blown up ones than good ones...mostly due to bad mechanics). It's a non-interference engine and all of the bottom end parts are forged. The only 2 detriments are the thin-ish rod bearings that are unique to this engine and the poor metallurgy of the valves/valve guides in the head. Run good oil, don't overheat it...should be good. 

Congrats on a beautiful TC!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:55 AM, Reaper1 said:

Leatherique for the interior (I JUST started the process on my one car last night!)

Got mine this afternoon and began last night.  All I can say so far is a) my seats are thirsty, and b) the difference already is astounding.

• Like 1

I went through the same process of safety upgrades and preventative maintenance a few years ago when I got my 16V TC.  RDI Performance as mentioned is a very good source for belts, gaskets, fuel lines, plug wires, and I really need the plug valley seals.  I figured if I was going to take the engine apart that far, might as well replace as much of the wear parts as possible, especially old rubber and seals.  When I say "I", I mean a pro mechanic since I am an engineer too and like to tinker but don't have the skill to do major work.  Rick at RDI was kind enough to answer my mechanic's questions on installation for a few trickier items.  Good luck and enjoy your TC.

I'd be interested if you find out about the oil cap situation.  I just started having the same issue - am finding oil on top near the cap. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 7:05 PM, wendellgee28 said:

Got mine this afternoon and began last night.  All I can say so far is a) my seats are thirsty, and b) the difference already is astounding.

My seats are on their 3rd application! I have found that with the tan leather, it seems to get this hard film on it that causes it to look more brown than it should be. It does come of, but HOLY CRAP it takes some effort! I found that the hotter the water you use to rinse, the easier it is. I am going to bust out my steam cleaner and see if that makes things easier. Otherwise it's going to take a LONG time to get the interior clean like it should be...

• Like 1