1939 Chrysler Starter rebuild.

Brooklyn Beer

Well being I can't find a spare I am just going to bite the bullet and look into rebuilding my own starter.  Here is what it is doing.

Sometimes when you push the starter button in engages nicely and spins great starting the car immediately.  Sometimes you push the button, nothing happens. So jumping the terminals with the screwdriver gets it to spin (With a jangling sound) where you can then hit the starter button and it will spin out and engage and start the car.  Now for the past week you can jump the terminals, have it spin, but the starter button will not cause any function with the starter at all. I going to take to tapping on it a little bit as the goal is to get it to start and onto the lift and get the starter out for a rebuild.  My experience with starters is limited to say the least especially of this year. I have no qualms about taking it apart as the problem looks to be in the drive (You can even here it jangle sometimes when driving) and solenoid I am figuring.  Parts look available for those items. I see Bernbaums Mopar products has a starter rebuild kit. Am I opening up a big can of worms here? The problem seems like a mix of 50% electrical and 50% mechanical. It is an autolite 4020A.   I do have a very nice 4020A rebuilt BUT it is for vehicle with a foot switch. Can any of this starter be used ?

• Like 1

It sounds like the issue is with the solenoid and/or the starter button.  The starter button can have connection issues, either inside it where the button contacts are located or in wiring or connections at the rear of the button or where it connects at the starter.  Also, it’s possible the solenoid internal connections to make the battery connect to the starter has a problem. If jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver maker the starter spin, this points the finger at the solenoid and button electrical connections.  Do you have a wiring diagram to see how the connections are made?  A DC voltmeter is your friend here for checking wiring.

The starter may still have some mechanical weakness with bearings and brushes, but if it turns with battery voltage directly applied to it the solenoid and it’s wiring becomes the main suspect.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I have a 39 Royal also that the starter was removed when I got it, dose anyone have a picture or a diagram to where the two small posts wires go. I have the start button which side of the solenoid it goes to, and there is a wire in the area that goes to the choke heater housing with a large lug. My wiring dose not show where these wire they mount on the solenoid any help would be great.  

• Like 1

I would take the starter to a confident  shop  and have it accessed   It never hurts to have a good starter if you plan to keep the car.  Knowing the starter is good will let you trouble shoot any remaining problems.  Stay Safe

I found a local guy who had a diagram of which of the two small connections were ground & starter button. Once I had that I was able to test the solenoid/starter. did find and repair the burned wires for the starter relay [under the cover in the starter] once that was repaired, proper adjustment on the benedicks depth and the new benedicks gear the starter works great.     

Thank for all the advice I hope everyone has a great day Hoo Hoo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just can't seem to find the time to get out and down to the car barn. Today I am hoping.  Everyone at work seemed to come down with the covid at once so extra hours for me.  I already had it back in late December so guess who gets the OT.  I had a "Why don't I kick myself in the head" moment a couple days ago regarding my starter.  I have a nice rebuilt correct starter here. I thought it was the wrong year but nope, it is the MAX4020.  Just no solenoid on it. I am guessing these are transistion type starters from foot switch to solenoid for these 2 years. I looked at the casing close and sure enough there are holes for that funny looking selonoid.  I thought what I was looking at on the floor was for the foot switch. Stupid me. Like I said mine will spin when jumped over but will not throw out. Hopefully today I can get the backed up chores done and pull it.  Question.  Is there anyway to manually move the engagement rod(?) to see if it is stuck while it is in the car? Would like to be able to move it up to the shop before getting into it. When the starter spins you can tell it is shot by the jingle jangle of stuff going on.  Question.  Who has solenoids for this year starter?