Dodge Brothers Starter Generator

in2antiques

• in2antiques changed the title to Dodge Brothers Starter Generator

Thanks.  What impact would not having that grounded have on the charging system?  The ammeter shows it was charging.

I'm trying to figure an electrical issue.  I had an older battery that wouldn't hold a charge.  I replaced with a brand new one, and just to be sure, fully charged it two days ago.  Took the car for a drive today and after only 4 miles, shut it off, and fortunately in front of my house.  I was able to put a charger on it, and showed it was nearly dead.  Wish I'd have checked the charge prior to my drive.

I previously posted on this forum about a starting problem.  In that post, I mentioned that moving the light switch while running the car sometimes will kill the car.  Perhaps the switch is just bad.  Hard to believe it could drain a battery that fast.

Edited by in2antiques (see edit history)

Sorry auto electrics is not my strong suit so I recommend asking a qualified auto elec. I am thinking that the body is possibly going to ground via the holding clamp. A lot of starting and generating issues are due to a bad earth, paint and / or corrosion have an added effect.

The battery going dead so quick sounds like a short draining power all the time. The problems regarding the ignition switch are quite common as the mounting plate is 100 year old pressed board, age, moisture and vibration cause the layers to de-laminate resulting in possible internal shorting. A multi meter and some electrical knowledge will soon identify where the problem is. My 1919 touring has a toggle switch for the ign and another for the lights, (it failed on a car rally and a fellow DB owner made up a temporary fix which is still there) Replacement switches are rare and expensive and come with no guarantee that they are any better than the one you have. You will need to buy the correct item for your car as the switch for the magneto works quite different to the switch for the distributor. 

Most of the learning process is trial and error.

Hopefully one of our Forum’s more electrically savvy folk can chime in and offer more helpful assistance.

Good luck.

It is grounded to the case thru that stud. The bent piece is the ground.  Would not need another ground as the ground strap at the battery might be attached (on mine) to the transmission case. If the meter is showing on the plus side (what does it do with the engine off and turning the Lights on) then it should be charging and there is a larger drain on the battery some place. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

Make sure that the body is grounded, the frame\chassis is grounded and the engine/tranny are grounded.

Just because this stuff is all screwed together it doesn't necessarily mean that they are all grounded together. Rubber body mounts, engine mounts etc.

Oh yea, and rust doesn't carry current very well either.

On my 1920, they ran an extra ground to the ground terminal on the starter switch. If yours is a 21, are you running positive or negative ground? The cut of the 22-26 is for the positive ground cars that started around 1922 when the horn button was moved from the door to steering column. Which ever way it is hooked up, if the gauge is showing on the plus side when running and discharge with motor not running and lights on, I would leave it. When you take the grounded side terminal off the battery do you see any sparking that would indicate there is a draw or short in the system? There should not be with everything shut off. If there is, time to get the meter out and do a little searching. Or your new battery is bad, not unheard of. Another thing to check(maybe), the cutout could be sticking closed and is feeding power to the generator with the key off. If after the car has been sitting does the generator/starter feel warm to the touch? You could also disconnect the line to it and see what the battery does, if it does not discharge then the starter switch/cutout could be the issue. Myers sells a rebuilt unit with a diode installed. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)