1949 Buick Roadmaster Window Problems

mgeissberger

I have a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Convertible. It has power windows. Currently they all function, but I have a problem getting the windows to go down from the drivers side 4 window control. I can get each window to go up from the drivers door control. Problem is, none of the will go down from that control. I can lower all the windows from the single window controls on the passages door, and rear seat area when I use their individual controls, but can not get any to go down from the drivers door control. Currently the drivers door window is stuck in the up position. Any thoughts?

Hello if I remember correctly the switch’s have 3 wires ,a hot lead , one that opens the solenoid on the window cylinder and one that opened solenoid and runs hydro electric pump to make it go up. Sounds like you have a bad connection on the drivers side switch that controls the solenoid only.You will have to take the door panel off to check it out. 

AC62D1DB-D16A-44EB-AD8B-AC9FBD44D969.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello again, to remove the door panel,the window crank and door handle have to be removed, then two screws in the armrest also two screws towards bottom of panel,also the garnish panel at top will need to come off .There is a number of fasners that hold panel on to door. Half the work is getting to the switch.

• Like 2

There is an omega shaped spring holding the handle in place. It is located at the top end of the handle. Only visible when you push back the door panel a little. This tiny spring needs to be removed and then the handle falls off. Sometimes this spring is difficult to catch. No special tool but a thin and small screw driver is required for that and lots of patience! Took me 30 sec up to 1 h to remove it.