gas tank sending unit

jplein

On 9/5/2020 at 5:10 AM, Chasander said:

On the AC units the angle of the tubing is very slightly different causing the return line to hit the tank. (From Jim) BFH and a brass bar to slightly dent the tank allowed it to fit. 

oooh, I don't like that! When I receive my new replacement (USPS 1st Class), I will compare with my rusted original.

It appears these Fuel Tank Sending Units are manufactured by Liland in Syracuse NY.

Dent the outside of the tank?

John B.

Update:

My Friday shipment from a preferred vendor included the Tank SS Sending Unit. No disappointment and being all stainless steel except for the rheostat cover, better than OEM. The P/U Sock is in the exact same position.

However, no documentation.

Online research indicated 40 and 30 ohms with 35 ohms on my old units. So, I discovered the new unit to be 35 ohms as well. I learned the unit is purposely designed with a LARGER RANGE THAN WHEN INSTALLED IN THE TANK. This now makes sense.

So, the gauge on the dash has a range of 0-30 ohms, NOT the Sending Unit. Documentation should accompany the part stating to: "TRIAL FIT WITH THE UNIT IN THE TANK using a multi-meter and adjust the float arm accordingly to achieve 0-30 ohms. That's flipping over the tank.

The usable range in the tank is tight (tank is undamaged). I could barely achieve 30 ohms for full scale. The manual says to factor in a gallon for reserve at zero ohms. Don't think I have that, 0 ohms means fumes! A shorter float arm would've helped.

My initial install out-of-the-box would've registered 5/8th on the fuel gauge with a full tank!

I didn't see a need to dent the tank anywhere with the return line. All good in that regard.