37 Cadillac Series 70 engine question

ericmac

I just got my first Cadillac in the mail (not really; Bills Auto Works delivered it) and I want to learn a little bit about it. I was fortunate to have Scott "Stude Light" over this evening and he gave me a lot of great advice and even loaned me some manuals.  That said we were both puzzled by the location of the serial number on the block, on the passenger side,  as well as the number itself.  Anyway,  the car is a '37 V8 70 series Fleetwood convertible sedan.  The number is 9K42263. Any thoughts of the correctness,  or lack thereof?

20200802_115705.jpg

20200811_210536.jpg

The heads on a 37 do not have the reinforcing bosses(and there are a BUNCH of casting variances in the blocks over time/years.   A pretty common swap over though.  The engines tended to be swapped over due to overheating (caused by rust chips) and this involves the blocks tending to crack in the rear cylinders on the drivers side caused by whatever they used for steel in engine blocks flakes pretty badly as "rust chips" and REALLY CLOGS UP the water circulation passages.   The good news is the correct engine can eventually be found and for not much money in the big and/or small scheme of CCCA or even 30's cars for that matter - have fun with this as is (other than if you have a block full of chips you have to deal with that) and work another engine up on the side.  

Sidenote: You may be happier with a 1941 Stromberg carb set up and air cleaner - even on a 37 (we ran such on the 36 and loved it).