Air shocks for a 64 Riviera

Bikemike6459

Consider putting very high quality gas shocks at all 4 corners, and individually plumbed urethane air bags in the rear. Inflate to around 7 psi for normal driving. Increase pressure as needed for load. Great feel and handling.    -    Carl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

Consider putting very high quality gas shocks at all 4 corners, and individually plumbed urethane air bags in the rear. Inflate to around 7 psi for normal driving. Increase pressure as needed for load. Great feel and handling.    -    Carl 

^^^This. The shock attach points were not designed to support the weight of the car. Air bags that go inside the rear coil springs will react the load through the same chassis structure as the springs, so that's the way the chassis was designed. AirLift 1000 is probably the right airbag to use.

airlift-1000-30036.jpg

By the way, Ridetech sells a complete air suspension kit for the early Riv. Note that their system also uses air springs that replace the rear coil springs.

products-11130298-500x500.jpg

If you really want air shocks take a close look at the frame crossmember that the upper mounts attach to. I use to run them on GM A bodies without any problems. I ruined the floor pan of a very nice 76 Chevy Nova with them, no frame, no crossmember. Just re-enforced areas that weren't up to supporting weight, but then shocks were never meant to.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:57 AM, Bikemike6459 said:

Great, thanks guys. I’ll look in to that. 

Im trying a similar exercise on my ‘63. Spoke to Monroe (Australia) who gave me a part number for an air adjustable shocker with similar dimensions except the eye sizes. I have had some metal sleeves made to fit but that is as far as I have got. 

Even though it was fitted ex factory with HD springs and shocks, with a full tank and several cases of wine in the boot, it drops more than I like. I want to be able to maintain a level stance or even slightly raked so I can carry luggage etc. 

I did a similar exercise on a 64 Skylark coupe years ago and it worked fine. I didn’t need sleeves for that and there seemed much more room than with the Riviera.

You may want to check on the Riviera forum with the same question as it has been done.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀