A/C Delco Plug Gap?

tjenkins

If using stock plugs, the gap should be as the underhood emissions lable, .060". If you are changing to any kind of plug with a raised pad on the electrode, i.e. platinum plugs, the gap should be decreased .010". It is important to use a round wire gage on these large gaps, as flat gages can give false readings. A lot of owners swear by twisting the side electrode so that it lines up perfectly over the center of the plug. There does not seem to be any downside to this if done carefully.

Bob Rich

Faced with R/R of the three items, I choose to go Delco, and, purchase the cheaper of the three - spark plugs and wires.

Got 'em at GMPARTSDIRECT, and even with the $7 "handling fee" total was very competative.

It seems to idle/accelerate smoother - time will tell on the low gear 'pull'. I've got a half-tank of premium gas, I need to burn that off.

Should I still get the hesitation in 4th, I'll R/R the coil pack - also with Delco.

Thanks to all for your immediate help, knowledge and trusted experiences.

--Tom

• 1 year later...

Just changed Spark Plugs from AC-Delco .060 to AC-Rapidfire #3 .045

{Per a few members advise}. Which resulted in an imediate loss in power and acceleration. The old Plugs were clean and white when removed. Maybe it allready has the coil upgrade? I dont know...

But, I doubt it. Next time I will use #14

Guest EDBS0

Interesting. I have used both plugs, the 14s most recently with the Jacobs "brick".

The gap is not adjustable.

They should provide more response, easier, quicker starts, smoother idle etc.

I must admit that it runs better & the idle is smoother but,

Im talking about a "Significant" loss of power & acceleration.

Also on the first couple of starts it wanted to cut out.

Something that has never happened until the plug change.

Problem has been resolved by driving & computer adjustments.

This car was a neglected mess when purchased.

So im inclined to think that there was no coil upgrade.

The .060 gap plugs were a year old & like new upon removal.

Which convinces me that the .060 gap #14 is corect for my car.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. On the one hand the larger gap will result in a fatter but very slightly retarded spark. On the other hand it will require more power from the coilpack.

Since am now curious and have installed the later Delco ignition, think I'll pick up some #14s and see what happens.

Guest wally888

Some owners have reported power loss, etc. after plug replacement and the cause turned out to be improper placement of the sheilds on the rear plugs. Lots of spark lights/jumps when observed in pitch dark!

I don't know if the manifold heat would bother them or not, but I assume so, or the General wouldn't have spent the money to install them. There isn't much air flow on the back side of the engine so I would imagine the radiant heat builds up. I am using Accell's Extreme 9000 plug wires which have silver reflective boots. I used the Ford style 110 deg. boots which point the wires approx. straight up from the plugs, and even with my revised rear manifold, which is pretty close to the plug boots, I have not experienced any problems with them. My manifolding is all ceramic coated, but there are no heat shields, and the turbo really builds heat in the pipes.

Guest wally888

Mine were off for the winter but will probably put back on soon. Think a lot of people/mechanics just throw them away! Several times when changing plugs I have had a brief knuckle twister getting them on right, once one kept the wire end from completely seating but the engine missfire notifies you immediately.

Guest EDBS0

My shields have been off since the first plug change many thousands of miles ago. No problems with MSD or Magnicor wires. Also took them off my SC Riviera with no problems.