'65 in Need of Rally Wheels Fitment Help

brendan65

Hey All,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my specific question.

Would a set of '66 rims with 'hubs that have mounting ring for disk brakes' fit on my '65 with drums? If it helps or makes a difference, the '66 rims came off a Riviera GS. They're listed as 15"x7" and 5x5 bolt pattern, which from my research would work on my '65 - it's the drum's I'm not sure about. I'm guessing these would be the 802 (rim code), but that's just a guess for now, since they've currently got old tires on them.

I've also found a second incomplete set of (3 rims) rallys with the 853 rim code that I was also considering on grabbing (if they fit) because that '66 set mentioned above does have one rim with a little bit of a problem area. Unfortunately a little bit of the chrome is starting to separate.

Anyways, hopefully some of y'all have a much better idea about this stuff than me. 

Thanks,

Brendan 

All Buick rally wheels, except for wheels from a 70s Estate Wagon, are 15 x 6" 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Wheel width is measured inside where the tire bead seats. If you can see the code, you can read the 15 x 6 stamp in the same area. Disk brakes were not available until mid year 1967

The 802 wheel will fit any car with drum brakes but will not work with disk brakes.  The 853 will work on both drum and disk brakes.  The problem occurs when you try to fit wheels with the register ring on 64 and prior hubs.  If you have a set of 853 wheels, they will work on any 1965 and later car with the 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

The wheels are dimensionally the same, but aesthetically they have a differnt profile when viewed  from the front.  They also take different diameter center caps.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Hey Ed,

Thanks for the response!

It could be possible the seller measured the width incorrectly, I'm guessing maybe he did it by the tires on there. Curious about the disc break option though, seller mentioned they came off his '66 and that the register ring was for disc breaks.  

So just to reiterate what you mentioned, if the complete set (from '66) is in fact the 802 rim code they will work on my '65 with drums. And same with the 853 set?  

I've never seen a set of these in person before, I'm guessing that register ring is the ring in the middle there. Would this cause an issue on my '65?

Brendan 

rim.png

Here are two pictures of the 67-69 Riviera rims for disc brakes, from which you can compare to your rims. 

Riviera Rims0007.JPG

The inside "step" of the rim for one designed for the disc brakes is squared as opposed to the picture you posted which showed the same area as on an angle.  

Riviera Rims0021.JPG

The squared "step is there to provide clearance for the disc Brake caliper.  

The disc brake design will fit on a brake drum.  The brake drum design will not clear a disc brake caliper. 

Yes, the ring in the center is called a Register Ring.   But I cannot say for certain that the register ring will, or will not, interfere with the brake drum hub on a '65. 

• Thanks 1

I first posted this in 2017:

I found a Bugle article (June 2002) written by James Brothers, BCA #27388. It is about how to identify Buick Wheels (1964 through 1987 RWD).  I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws for posting this, but there is a summary paragraph that I will recreate here word for word.

On 5 inch bolt pattern wheels:

"An X stamped next to the center cap hole is a 3rd design (1966-1967 15x6). Measure across the outer edges of the rim. if 8 inches, the wheel is a 6th design (1982-1987 15x7). Place the wheel, outer face down, on a flat surface. if the wheel rests on the center cap mounting surface and not on the rim, it is a 5th design (1971-1987 15x6). If the wheel rests on the rim and does not have a register ring, it is a 1st design (1964 15x6). If the wheel has a register ring and a 2" center cap hole, it is a 2nd design (1965 15x6). If the wheel has a register ring a 2 1/8" center cap hole and no X, it is a 4th design (1967-1970 15x6)."

In summary:

1st design (1964 Wildcat only): If the wheel rests on the rim and does not have a register ring. Rim code "Unistyle". 2" center cap hole. 15x6.

2nd design (1965 Wildcat and Riviera): If the wheel rests on the rim and has a register ring. Rim code "Unistyle". 2" center cap hole. 15x6.  Same as design #1 but with a register ring.

3rd design (1966-1967 Wildcat and Riviera without disc brakes): Has "X" stamped next to center cap. Same design as #2 (wheel rests on rim and has a register ring) but with 2 1/8" center cap hole. Rim code 802. 15x6.

4th design (1967-1970 Wildcat and Riviera, and 1970 LeSabre, with disc brakes): Same design as #3 (wheel rests on rim and has a register ring) but more room for disc brakes, 2 1/8" center cap hole, no "X" near center cap, Rim code 853. 15x6.

5th design ( 1971-1973 Centurion, 1971-1978 Riviera, 1971-1985 LeSabre, 1973-1984 Electra): If the wheel rests on the center cap mounting hole. No register ring, 2" center cap hole, "JJ" bead type, Rim code 865, application code WK, VT, 15x6.

6th design (1980-1987 LeSabre and Riviera): 15x7, same basic design as #5 but an inch wider. Rim code 011, application code VC.

• Thanks 2

On 7/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, brendan65 said:

Hey Ed,

I've never seen a set of these in person before, I'm guessing that register ring is the ring in the middle there. Would this cause an issue on my '65?

Brendan 

Brendan,

No, the register ring will not interfere with your 1965.  In 65, the hubs were made smaller AND the register ring was added to the wheel.  You are good to go in the best sense. Prior to 65, the rim hung on the wheel studs and was centered when  the lug nuts were tightened. In 1965, the wheels rested on the register ring rather than the wheel studs.

Many 63 and 64 Riviera Owners knock the register ring out and install the wheels as did the original 1964 wheels (which were only available on the Wildcat. Didn't become available on the Riviera and Electra until 1965.)  The 895 wheel (79>) will bolt on but they have no register ring.  However the 895 wheel has a 1/2" deeper offset and sit closer to the chassis than the 802 or 853 wheel. Works with disk brakes but you get tire/chassis rub.

• Thanks 2

All register rings are the same diameter. The same diameter as the front hub and rear axle on the 65 - 70 Riviera for which they were designed. To mount the rally wheels on a 63 or 64, the register ring must be removed.  The 71> wheel has no register ring and will fit all 5 on 5 Buick applications.  I don't of anyone who has considered putting the 65 - 70 wheels on a 71 or later car; don't know if they'll fit.

PS - it's  the hub, not the brake drum where the interference occurs.  ALL of the 45 fin drums are the same. 63 - 64 the drum and the hub have an interference fit. On the 65 and later cars, there is a gap between the hub and the hole in the brake drum.

Edited by RivNut
Added PS (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1