Need help identifying this car from old photos...

Hello AACA members,

I was hoping I could get some help identifying this car in the photos below. The photos are of New England landscape artist Robert Strong Woodward sometime in the 1920s. I am just out of my mind and Google weary at this point. It appears to me to be a two-door coupe, no rumble seat (you can see the trunk lid), the door handles are on the right of the door suggesting to me (a novice appreciator of classic cars) that they open in what I know to be "suicide doors". It was always assumed to be a Nash because the artist reportedly owned a '26 and a '29 before moving on to Packard in '31 and '36. For a while I thought it might be an Oldsmobile. But the doors and rear did not match. Then I thought it might be a Stutz Bearcat which I feel match most of the features. Unfortunately, the headlamps do not match at all. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Brian Charles

Curator for the Woodward Estate

rsw_nash_unknown--posHR.png

rsw_nash_unknown_ppl-posHR.png

To be more exact it is either a 1923 or 1924 Studebaker Model EM Light Six Three Passenger Roadster. There is no way to distinguish between those two years with the photos you have though. The reason it is not a 1922 (or earlier) is that the cowl lamps are set into the windshield frame.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Brian,

If you are interested in seeing more details of what this car would have looked like I submit the following....

Kent Musgrave has this model and it was featured in the Nov-Dec 2018 Antique Studebaker Review.  His great-grandmother owned a 1924 model and Kent purchased a similar car and created a great merged photo of his great-grandfather, grandfather and his nephew using photos taken in 1927 and 2016 (attached) - great story. 

Scott

20151110_203528.thumb.jpeg.c758e03d2a44f12aef9d5a33d3e92f2d.jpeg1378687757_Cashscubed_04_02.thumb.jpg.0ac8ae899e16d1086a9216e4d2e0d7f5.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)