straight 8 crank swap

Brandon49

Hello I'm hoping someone can help me I have a 49 Buick Super manual the engine is shot so I bought a 52 straight 8 Automatic

the cranks are different. Is there an adapter I can use to modify the the auto crank to work with my manual transmision or do I have to change

the crank.Also if I have to change the crank can I use the the crank out of the old 248 engine and put it in the 52 engine which is a 263.

Thank for any help with this.

BRANDON

The stroke is the same on the 248 and the 263 (the difference in displacement is in the bore), so I imagine they are interchangeable.  I do not know of an adapter to make a dynaflow crank fit with a manual transmission.   It seems that any sort of adapter would have to move the flywheel out of position.

CORRECTION-  I checked my parts manual, and there is a different part number for the manual trans crank from 1939-1949 series 40 and 50 (1321354)  and from 1950-1953 series 40 and 50 (1339816), so it looks like these will not interchange.  But note that the cranks are used in both the series 40 and 50.   The 248 was in the series 40 and 50 up through 1949.  In 1950 the 248 was in the 40 and the 263 was in the 50.  From 1951 to 1952, there was only the 263 used in the 40 and 50, and in 1953 the 263 was in the 40 only.

Edited by Pete O
correction (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Brandon49 said:

Hello I'm hoping someone can help me I have a 49 Buick Super manual the engine is shot so I bought a 52 straight 8 Automatic

the cranks are different. Is there an adapter I can use to modify the the auto crank to work with my manual transmision or do I have to change

the crank.Also if I have to change the crank can I use the the crank out of the old 248 engine and put it in the 52 engine which is a 263.

Thank for any help with this.

BRANDON

The crankshafts for 248" & 263" are not interchangable. All main bearings on 263 are same size. 248 main bearings change size as you measure from front to rear. The shoulder of the flange on the rear of the crankshaft where the hole in the flywheel/flexplate rests is different in diameter on a stick crank vs dyna crank. PM if more info needed.

I’m guessing you bought the engine that I had hoped for, but was out bid. I’ve been told that you can machine the end of the crank to work on your transmission. I too have a manual transmission. Mine is in a 1952 Special Riviera. The engine is a boat anchor.