Signal 55-driver eduction movie from 50's-buy it anywhere??

Speed Bump...I am only taking a best-shot at this. Whatever state you are in, either, contact the DMV, or, go to your local library. Best I can think of for now.

Can you remember where/who showed the reel-to-reel?

Regards, Peter J.

Peter, I'm up in Palmyra Pa and I saw it in driver's ed. in

Pike co. Perhaps I'll contact the school and see if they'll

have it or sell it. Do you think DMV would have anything like

this for sale. It really is a gory movie with real accident scenes

not doctored up at all. I would like a copy for historical purposes

It shows how some (most) of the older 50's cars were pretty lethal

in accidents. Your input is appreciated.

SpeedBump...

The AACA Library & Research Center, located within the AACA National Headquarters building at 501 W. Governor Road, Hershey, PA, just 15 minutes from Palmyra, could possibly help: Contact Kim Miller @ 717-534-1910. Or...

The '80's are not all that long ago. Contact the school. Maybe someone knows where it was acquired, or, at best, steer you in a direction. I would think that the State of PA purchased these "canned" clips from a vendor studio that promoted the product. Possibly the State Police barracks?

Regards, Peter J.

The nice thing about the AACA Library and Research Center is that many of the old reel to reel movies in their archive has been converted to VHS under the program started years ago by Chuck Conrad. If the AACA Library does have the film... and it has already been converted, that would make it much easier to view.

I am a Driver Education instructor at Frederick CC in Frederick, Md.and when I taught Driver Education in the public school system 12 years ago I used Signal 55 in my classes. It was borrowed from the Maryland State Police Headquarters in Pikesville, Maryland. They still might have it. It was a good film.

Coach

If you mean the original <span style="font-style: italic">Signal 30</span> produced by the Ohio State Police in 1959, then point your browser at the Internet Archives located at http://www.archive.org/ and search through the Prelinger Archives.

<span style="font-style: italic">Signal 30</span> and a bunch of other films including a lot of 1930s Chevrolet <span style="font-style: italic">Leader News</span> films are available for free download for non-comercial use.

Signal 30 is the one I remember. I also remember one scene where a driver realized (too late) that he should apply the brakes. I specifically remember the sound of many, many new drivers in the school auditorium stomping their feet on the floor as they instinctively tried to slam on the brakes. Hair stands up on the back of my neck now thinking about it.

I grew up in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. The State Police would come up every year from Scranton to put on Signal 30. They also had a mock-up driver's seat with a brake pedal that they used to test everyone's reaction time. For some reason, it's one of the few things I still remember (.48 second). BillP

I also remember Signal 30 - which I believe is the police radio code for "death by auto" or something similar. Graduated HS in Southern NJ in 1967 and saw it during the week prior to Prom Weekend every one of my 4 years.NJ State Police came in and tried to put the fear of God into us "invincible" kids.

Too bad that we are still loosing our kids to death by auto today. Just happened to us in our close community last summer - no alcohol or drugs involved either.

Check this site http://www.state.oh.us/odps/news/2002/02-34.htm for more information.