Body and Engine bay detailing on a 1941 Lincoln Continental

V.Milke

Hi,

One more question about 1941 Continentals... body and engine bay detailing.

The car I just got had a prior restoration not done to correct standards, but the paint is still good enough to redo it, therefore I will keep it as is, and only correct details like painting bumper brackets in body color, same as the rubber between them and the body, fenderwelt and I am not yet sure which other rubber should be painted body color.  Any hints? 

In other words, I am just doing some "patchwork" to make the car look more correct. I know I need to paint the silver lines in the wheels, among other things.

While at this, I want to refinish the engine area. I understand that even the chassis, at the engine area, should be painted body color, including the brake lines. Is this correct? What happens with the chassis further inside the engine bay, like under the engine? Should it also be body color or was in only "oversprayed" at the sides when they painted the engine bay sides? I want the car to look as correct as possible.

Thanks for any guidance!

Victor

1941 Lincoln Continental, Luis Arguelles (6).JPG

unibody car was all painted body color--inc lines, most all other bolt ons are semi gloss black, 

trumpet horn screens and screws on horns silver, hood hinges body--fender braces and pans black

volt reg /horn relay/starter sol / od box all natural cad silver..fan black vib dampner green- fuel pump

is steel cover not glass..

• Like 1

Since this is a beauty, and not just a driver, you might consider buying the Authenticity Manual off one of the website vendors.  That manual is nowhere complete, but it is still packed with a lot of useful  info which we can not list all for you here in short replies.  Love the color, my Dad originally had a maroon 1941 coupe with fold down seats in 1950's, and unfortunately sold it after I was born, because it was getting tougher with little room to throw the 3 kids behind the front seat!!  Figure they had about 80-100 Zephyrs coming down the line every day, and pulled about 4/day off to the side to turn them into a Continental! (lower and stretched hood, polish the heads, shorter fenders, .....)  So some things you can guess how they might be painted.  Whatever installed before the paint shop came with body color paint, then engine, tranny,.... added.  Underside did not get covered with body color paint, just hit-miss undercoating mostly down the centers.  Paint shop painted what they could reach from the side, like the outside of the frame members were painted body color inside the fendors, but then it was just a matter of how much body color over-spray got on the rest of the underneath after that. 

• Like 1

Thank you both! By this time, I found an old copy of a second edition of the Authenticity manual and it is just as you both describe. Thanks a lot!

In a nutshell, it is just as Mssr. Bwatoe describes!

Thanks again!

Victor