fender supports Model A

crazycars

I purchased a partially restored 1930 Standard Roadster a while back and I noticed that the rear fenders don't have support braces. There are no holes anywhere on the fenders or the body for the braces to mount. Did Ford ever make Model A's without rear fender braces? All answers greatly appreciated!

The rear braces mount to the frame and there should be a hole on the lower rear fender moulding for a bolt. Perhaps the previous owner filled the hole in the fender or it may be fiberglass.The brace is mounted horizontally and bends around the rear of the tire, if I remember correctly. '30 and '31's used a stamped steel brace.

• 3 months later...

If I'm not mistaken the rear fender braces mount to the body, not the frame. Your inner fender panels may have been replaced at one time, the reproduction panels don't come drilled for the braces. Your rear fenders should have a hole drilled in the outer flange for the outer edge of the fender brace. In April of 1929 the brackets were changed from forged to stamped steel.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

On the sides of the frame past the wheel, a little forward from the rear inner edge of the fender, you'll see 2 holes about 3 or so inches apart. The brackets bolt through those holes. The mounting end of the bracket faces forward and the body of the bracket bends around so the fender mounting hole lines up to the  outer fender hole.

• Like 1

You are probably correct. The later cars are different than some of the '28-'29 models. It appears that the brackets are angled upward and fasten to the fender much higher than some of the earlier models. As suggested, mount the fender and see how the holes line up, that should give you a better idea. i was going by how my '28 p/u was mounted.

• Like 1