1929 Peerless 681 - $22,500 - Not Mine

Appears to be a very professional paint job. Clean and I assume rare. $1,595 when new in 1929 on a short wheelbase. That is a high price for an entry level car in 1929. A similar size Buick was under $1,350 with over 45,000 units sold.   Unsure how many units of this model were produced but would opine that less than 20 remain. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like quite a nice car. Someone managed to get a typo in the ad, though; it should read "1929 6-61" or even "1930 Peerless 6-61A". Side cowl vents, 10-spoke wheels, and fender running lights often suggest a 1930 6-61A...as does production after Sept. 30th, 1929. A Peerless 6-61 is closer to a 6-81 than a '28 Chevy is to a '29 Chevy, it has 62 vs. 66 hp; and 214 cubes instead of 248. Both with Continental engines. $1,395 new for a Sedan. A million dollars were invested in the development of the new model and it caused a sensation when thousands were ordered at the NY Auto Show in one day. So popular that production continued a little bit into 1930, when the company was supposedly all-straight-eight. Hydraulic brakes, 7-bearing crankshaft.

My records show it was driven every summer 1994-2017 by previous owner. Fifty 6-61 cars known to have survived*....the most numerous of all surviving Peerless models. The 6-61 Peerlesses are distinguished by their horizontal hood louvers, much like what you would see on a Stutz, or Marmon Roosevelt.

*About 350 cars on the KPAIE list of remaining 1900-1932 cars/trucks/professional vehicles.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8,236 Peerless 6-61s were ordered in one day at the New York Auto Show...about factory production for that year..so there was no way that many would come out of the plant in 1929, Stock Market Crash or not. Besides that one, there were thousands of 6-81, and hundreds of 6-91 and 8-125 models to build.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)