21" wire wheels for what car.

Leif Holmberg

Kean Thanks.

I think  you are right,the seller told me the total diameter is 22" that`s why I thought it was a 21" wheel? He also say it is 10 lug holes,but just wonder if it is lug holes or steering holes?To me it looks to be a wheel with an inner hub? just becuse of the "wide" hole in the middle? It very much looks like your picture of a Packard wheel.

Have been looking in my catalog but couldn`t find any with 10 lug holes.

What make of wire wheels used Packard normaly?   In 1926-1927 it seems to be Budd in my catalog.

Could it be for a commercial vehicle?

Leif in Sweden.

IMG.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

I can only count 8 lug holes? Looks like 72 spoke. (a multiple of 8). If OD is 22", tire size is likely 20". I'm not sure ring goes with that wheel, without a split etc, not sure how it would be held on, may be for a different type demountable wheel type. A wheel from that period normally has a spring steel split/lock ring like this one by Budd, for circa 1929/30 Marmon (ignore Chrysler hubcap).

IMG_5048.JPG

Info.from the seller is 10 lug holes and all of them has a lock ring.The pictures are not the very best,really hard to see how many holes there are on the picture,but of course it would be easier it it was 8 holes?.Anyway,I took a chanse and bought them anyway,but they are close to 500 miles from where I live.

Leif in Sweden

When you have 72 spokes on a wheel like this, where the lug wrench has to go through the spokes, the spoke count needs to be a multiple of the bolts. Since there are 72 spokes, bolts pattern would be 6 or 8, and in this case 8. For a 10 bolt wheel you would expect 80 spokes (40 inner, 40 outer), or 60 spokes (30 inner, 30 outer), 04 40 (20 inner and 20 outer like the Marmon), some multiple of 10. 70 or 50 would never be used. spokes are always strung/placed in pairs, and 1/2 of 70 is 35 which cannot be paired. BTW, your second photo clearly shows 6 holes and only room in hidden are for 2 more. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gunsmoke and jrbarlett.

The wheel will be picked up next week by a friend of mine 500 miles from here,but I don`t think I will have the wheel at home before the end of the summer?

But I hope I can have some photos taken by the girl that will pic up the wheels.

Leif in  Sweden.