Sign in to follow this  
Brassbus

No More Anonymous Posts - Yes or No

58Rebelsport, I didn't know you had left, welcome back. I for one have always enjoyed your posts. We may have different eras of interest but your passion for the hobby has never been in question.

Hi. My name is Brian Johnson. I am one of those guys you will see from time to time in the Anonymous postings. Since there seems to be controversy i'll give you my (two cents worth).Your forum is a very informative,entertaining,and social outlet for club members and non members alike. For those of us who are honest in our dealings,there is concern that anonymity will bring the predatory type of person that all of us involved in this hobby have ran across online and off. Having these forums only available to club members in theory would lessen the likelyhood of having dealings or deception from these vermin. From my experience in life however, no online forum can eliminate the infiltration of deceptive/and/or/ dishonest people registered/club member or not. If you eliminate the anonymous dishonest persons access he will just find another way to victimize you,like maybe join the club. Wouldn't that be wonderful! NOT!!! ALWAYS,ALWAYS be aware that when a person is corresponding with you online unless you really know that person you are taking some element of risk. Use common sense,and don't look at the world through rose colored glasses. With that and a little luck your online forum experience will be enjoyable and rewarding,with very few rare occurances of being abused by the bad element. In conclusion allowing people like myself use of this great forum is in my humble opinion the way to go. When it comes to old cars and trucks i say "the more the merrier". After all isn't that the reason this site was created? Does anyone remember how hard it was to buy or sell parts,or correspond with someone halfway across the country from you about your rare auto in the pre-computer day? And finally ,just how many people are really having a bad forum experience???? "If it ain't broke don't fix it"!!!!!! Nuff Said. Thanks for lending your ear.

Bob ~ Brian not only knows Real World 101, but seems to have a PhD in the subject. cool.gif We can all benefit from his lesson for today.

hvs smile.gif

Thre are six persons who are on this thing EVERY day. It gets a bit monotonous,so let the anons stay to minimize the boredom !

Anonymous ~ I agree with you. 1937HD45 and I are probably on your list of six guilty parties. You could be one too. There is an Anonymous every day and it could always be the same person. The thing about identified repeat posters is that it is easy to avoid them. Just don't waste your valuable time reading their posts when you come to them. After all, we never have anything worthwhile to say. Our job is just to keep the columns filled. wink.gif

hvs

Oh! Oh! Oh! And I thought everyone enjoyed my special wit! crazy.gif My heart is broken. Howard, would you be so kind as to start a poll to see if they want "us" to leave! Wayne

The score at 2:30 EST on Wed 12-11 is Members 13 - Anons 14 that are on line. Go Members!!!!!!!! grin.gif

You may be right. The poll that [color:\\"red\\"] PeterG is conducting on R&R only has 30 votes total. It doesn't look like members care about it one way or another.

It takes a few "ANONS"to keep the "all the time" users in line.

You know, I imagine that most of the "all the time" users would be just as responsive to registered users complaints and criticisms as to anonymous ones, maybe more so. I know Brassbus has criticized me on here and I respect him for doing so in the open.

I think it is mostly of a matter of people wanting to criticize without being recognized, and that is their right. We need both registered and unregistered people on this forum because for some, registration is something they just will not do. A number of them come on unregistered and then sign their names at the bottom of their post. What's wrong with that?

Things should be left as they are. This forum has its ups and downs, but then nothing is perfect. Our administrators and moderators seem to do a good job of policing things, so why change.

Just my opinion.

hvs

Mr. Johnson and hvs make good points. In addition, some of the marque clubs use their forums (fora?) to attract new people to the website and then direct them to services their clubs provide only to members to entice the anonymous ones to join. My particular marque club has gained many new members this way. Perhaps AACA (of which I am a member as well) can find ways to do the same thing--convert the anonymous into members.

By the way, to the guy wondering how some people have so much time to be frequent participants in these discussions-- I can speak for only one person--it sure beats Christmas decorating.

Anonymous ~ Your entry of a single ? doesn't tell us much. I am sorry if you don't understand my post or are confused. Try reading again more slowly. If that doesn't work get someone to help you. Others don't seem to be having the trouble you do. frown.gif

hvs