No More Anonymous Posts - Yes or No

Brassbus

Forgive me if it is not my place to post this here, but I thought it was important.

[color:\\"red\\"] PeterG has posted a poll on the Rant & Rave section to ask if the entire forum should be restricted to posts by registered users only. Lots of users don't visit the R&R, so I am posting this as a heads up. Registered and unregistered users alike can vote, but only one vote per IP address.

The only problem with Unregistered or Anonymous posters is that fact you can't tell one from the other, they are faceless. If you are on stage in front of a croud of total strangers at least you can tell one from the other by their appearance, and carry on a conversation. Here in cyberland you don't know if Anonymous #1 is Anonymous #2, #8, or #1 again. They can post as far as I'm concerned, we just need to know one from the other.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I think it's important we draw a distinction between unregistered and anonymous. I have no problem with unregistered people posting. Most folks who just have a quick question don't want to bother with registration.

I do not care for the anonymous posts at all. While the argument could be made that any "handle" or "nickname" is really anonymous, I think that posting unregistered should still require the use of some sort of username that the poster can pick. This would prevent most of the confusion associated with multiple people all being called anonymous. I suppose someone could still choose to enter "anonymous" in the username field, but at least it would take a conscious effort to do so.

If the software is capable, it might be a good thing to make the unregistered poster choose another username if the one they pick is already in use by a registered member. That would prevent someone from pretending they were someone else.

I would prefer everyone have to register to post (or read as far as that goes) and I may be even more restrictive - I wish it was required that you be member of AACA or at least join within the first year of your registration in order to be a part of this forum. Too many folks want to have a lot of benefits provided by AACA (this forum for example) without being a member of AACA. You have to be a member of AACA to join a region, I think it should be the same on this forum. I would propose you must be an AACA member within one year (and retain membership) after joining this forum.

Of course I am probably in the minority on this one.

BOB

Air_cooled! I agree with you on the AACA member issue. That was one of the things that aggravated me about the last banned poster. All of those long tirades "dissing" people and that person wasn't even a member of this organization. I don't think that's right. It's about like Europe telling us how to run our country when they can't even keep theirs straight. Wayne

Seeing as 99% of the "tirades" are by the registered users on this forum, just what exactly is your point RW? Get your facts straight. How about making it impossible for registered users to pose as unregistered users, I think that would keep the "rednecks" in line.

Here's another idea, why not ban anyone whose soul purpose here is to attack others on the forum. Worked for the CCCA? There should be a special clause for the "supporters" of the attacker too.

Nah, makes too much sense.

Guest Dave Mills

Seems to me that the obvious solution is to ignore the anonymous posts. The system can be self policing without any policy if you do that.

Sometimes I am anonymous,other times I am well-known.I sincerely wish that some of these guys who know very little about automotive would sit back and read,rather than to fill the site with useless(and often inaccurate) mishmash.We had one guy on a well-read site that never knew when it was time to READ

I post here as unregistered but sign my name; the same name I used when the DF had the old format. I've tried to login on occasion and even emailed PeterG for a new password, which he provided. I've tried again a couple times but am not able to post as registered. It doesn't really bother me either way other than it's faster to say something without logging in. And of course, I'll finally have to figure out what the technical problem is if registered/not anonymous becomes the rule.

Another thing I noticed is that on the page showing how many people are here and what is their registration status, the unregistereds usually outnumber the registereds two to one. That doesn't imply that traffic will go down if everyone is required to register, it just shows that a lot of people (potential members) come along. My belief is that the easier it is made for someone to speak to the group, the more the group MAY benefit than if barriers to entry were erected. Just my opinion. BillP

Those of u that want to restrict useage are going to restrict YOUR OWN information flow. OTHER areas of this forum ARE HAPPY. Look at the Packard part of this forum. WE have been along time finding a home for our discussion group that has traversed several different web sites prior to this one. WE are happy with it the way it is!!! REMEBER, this is discussion forum and NOT A SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS! Those of u that want a structured social civility system need to find another hobby anyway. There is and never has been any room for it in auto industry.

PackardV8 wrote:

Those of u that want a structured social civility system need to find another hobby anyway. There is and never has been any room for it in auto industry.

---------------

I disagree. I hope you are not saying that because this is a hobby that folks do not have to act civil. Acting mature and civil is, IMHO, needed and has a place in every situation and on the other hand, purposely causing strife has no place in this hobby or anywhere else. There are some people who are antagonists - they get enjoyment by stirring up discord. THere is no place for that here or in the hobby as a whole.

With your philosophy of almost justifying critical posts, if everyone takes this philosophy we will see a quick down turn in hobby participants. Nobody enjoys being criticized and especially when it comes from someone who will not even "show his face" or in this case, register .

BOB

How right you are Anonymous [the Anonymous responding to the post by der Gestapo, that is].

Today there is a post on another thread full of misinformation that can be very misleading to someone just reading on a subject he might know little or nothing about. frown.gif

hvs

It ain't you Randy. grin.gif

The person making that post is aware of the fact that he was a little loose on the facts and has said so. smile.gif Now isn't it nice when someone who is in error acccepts the correction in good spirit. That particular post provoked further discussion and brought out some worthwhile information. I think that is what this forum should be all about. Exchange of information without being sensative about correction or fear by others of pointing out an error.

hvs

One of the things that should be pointed out is if you can't be civil to an anonymous poster then what does that say about you? If it's a nasty posting then IGNORE IT! Easy hey! It's the attitude that needs to change not the structure of the forum, been to the other forums lately?

They don't have similar problems do they!, what does that mean?

Think about it. Zero tolerance for stepping on the rules should be practiced and not selectively either, this forum has a well known poor reputation for practicing nepotisim amongst it's members.

Either that or make it members only, segregation might be the only solution if you can't control yourselves.

Friendly ~ Just a friendly question. smile.gif Since your post is referenced directly to my previous post, I am wondering what you found improper in what I said? confused.gif The guy I corrected on another thread was a registered member and not an anonymous poster, and the correction was given in a pleasant and positive manner. Do you have a problem with calling errors to someone's attention? Should we ignore and not try to correct erroneous information in an effort not to offend anyone? I'm not looking for an arguement, just trying to fully understand your position on this issue. smile.gif

hvs smile.gifsmile.gif

To me this forum is a very valuable tool and I have met some really great people in the process. No one person can possibly be right all the time. If I screw up on a post I accept that responsibility. What I think is the "bone of contention" here is respect for one another right or wrong, this includes anons. Well unfortunately our society has changed and respect seems to be little more than a word, rather than a practice. How do you enforce or preserve something that doesn't exist. Ignore the strokes and they will take little joy in stiring up trouble. Let the newbes know this is not a hobby filled with jerks. What goes around comes around. Just my 2 cents.

To some of you who are on this ALL the time,I hope you are good at your DAY jobs!(especially the guy who cant find in print what he spouts off about) Yes YOU 1

Guest rcirilli

When this forum was concieved one of the main thoughts was to try to get non AACA members involved in the hobby and hopefully some would join the family. While it annoys me to no end when some people don't have the back bone to be accountable for what they say, it would limit the purpose of the forum to limit access. Registering is painless, aids in justifying the cost of the forum, and in my eyes is just curtious. I wouldn't walk into someones house without introducing myself nor would I go on a forum with out the same. Just my two cents.

OK, heres your solution. Make it so you have to REGISTER to post on this board. I used to think it should be open for anonymous posters, but not anymore. I'll admit, I got a little caught up in the controversy and pissed off enough to leave the board and delete all my old post that I could. This is supposed to be a friendly, informative forum for people to ENJOY, not to come on here and push thier political agenda or just flame for the hell of it. This board should not be an outlet to take out your bad day on. I said I would not post again on this board, but I have to say this so maybe some of you good guys can have a better place to post. There are some on this board that are just here for one purpose, to cause trouble, and you ALL know which ones I am talking about. It is just TOO tempting to be able to post as an anonymous and BURN the hell out of someone you disagree with, that option should be stopped immediately. I want to say though that I do enjoy following this board and learning from some of the knowledgeable people on here, but I am going to continue not to post as long as the "anonymous" option is still available for the loons to use as a flaming tool, period.

Hi. My name is Brian Johnson. I am one of those guys you will see from time to time in the Anonymous postings. Since there seems to be controversy i'll give you my (two cents worth).Your forum is a very informative,entertaining,and social outlet for club members and non members alike. For those of us who are honest in our dealings,there is concern that anonymity will bring the predatory type of person that all of us involved in this hobby have ran across online and off. Having these forums only available to club members in theory would lessen the likelyhood of having dealings or deception from these vermin. From my experience in life however, no online forum can eliminate the infiltration of deceptive/and/or/ dishonest people registered/club member or not. If you eliminate the anonymous dishonest persons access he will just find another way to victimize you,like maybe join the club. Wouldn't that be wonderful! NOT!!! ALWAYS,ALWAYS be aware that when a person is corresponding with you online unless you really know that person you are taking some element of risk. Use common sense,and don't look at the world through rose colored glasses. With that and a little luck your online forum experience will be enjoyable and rewarding,with very few rare occurances of being abused by the bad element. In conclusion allowing people like myself use of this great forum is in my humble opinion the way to go. When it comes to old cars and trucks i say "the more the merrier". After all isn't that the reason this site was created? Does anyone remember how hard it was to buy or sell parts,or correspond with someone halfway across the country from you about your rare auto in the pre-computer day? And finally ,just how many people are really having a bad forum experience???? "If it ain't broke don't fix it"!!!!!! Nuff Said. Thanks for lending your ear.

Anonymous ~ I agree with you. 1937HD45 and I are probably on your list of six guilty parties. You could be one too. There is an Anonymous every day and it could always be the same person. The thing about identified repeat posters is that it is easy to avoid them. Just don't waste your valuable time reading their posts when you come to them. After all, we never have anything worthwhile to say. Our job is just to keep the columns filled. wink.gif

hvs

You know, I imagine that most of the "all the time" users would be just as responsive to registered users complaints and criticisms as to anonymous ones, maybe more so. I know Brassbus has criticized me on here and I respect him for doing so in the open.

I think it is mostly of a matter of people wanting to criticize without being recognized, and that is their right. We need both registered and unregistered people on this forum because for some, registration is something they just will not do. A number of them come on unregistered and then sign their names at the bottom of their post. What's wrong with that?

Things should be left as they are. This forum has its ups and downs, but then nothing is perfect. Our administrators and moderators seem to do a good job of policing things, so why change.

Just my opinion.

hvs

Mr. Johnson and hvs make good points. In addition, some of the marque clubs use their forums (fora?) to attract new people to the website and then direct them to services their clubs provide only to members to entice the anonymous ones to join. My particular marque club has gained many new members this way. Perhaps AACA (of which I am a member as well) can find ways to do the same thing--convert the anonymous into members.

By the way, to the guy wondering how some people have so much time to be frequent participants in these discussions-- I can speak for only one person--it sure beats Christmas decorating.

Anonymous ~ Your entry of a single ? doesn't tell us much. I am sorry if you don't understand my post or are confused. Try reading again more slowly. If that doesn't work get someone to help you. Others don't seem to be having the trouble you do. frown.gif

hvs