moving front seats in a 65

bluriv

Any one have any thoughts on moving the front seats (non-power)  I would like to move them approx. 4" back for more room.

I am considering drilling new mounting plates in existing holes and drilling/tapping mounting holes 4" to the rear. Anyone done this or have additional  input. Thanks

Take a look at where the bolts are mounted in the floor board. They're not just bolted to the floor boards they're mounted to a crossmember which is part of the frame.  Somehow you should try to immulate the way the factory did it.

Make 7 flat metal plates with 2 holes in each, as many inches apart as you want to move the seat. I moved mine 2 inches.

Mount the plate to the car with one set of holes into original mounting points. Mount the seat to the plate with the other holes.

Use some strong steel plates, thick steel, and strong bolts/nuts.

Edited by Jim Cannon
corrected number of pieces from 6 to 7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply on moving seats in my 65. Seems like we are thinking alike!  Trying to keep as much of a stock appearance, 

but we do have to keep comfortable.

I have 1/4" plates that I will drill out and tap threads for new seat holes. Will not have to raise overall seat height to allow for bolt heads or nuts. Thinking of 4".....I'll be in the trunk!

Thanks guys, Jim

Blu Riv180988519_65pic.thumb.jpg.aa352b54732cc7e23d4a17f190af6eb0.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2020 at 4:22 AM, Jim Cannon said:

Make 6 flat metal plates with 2 holes in each, as many inches apart as you want to move the seat. I moved mine 2 inches.

Mount the plate to the car with one set of holes into original mounting points. Mount the seat to the plate with the other holes.

Use some strong steel plates, thick steel, and strong bolts/nuts.

Jim,

do you have taken pictures of your construction ?

Searching for ideas How to fabricate.

thank you.

6 hours ago, OldGerman said:

Jim,

do you have taken pictures of your construction ?

Searching for ideas How to fabricate.

thank you.

I don't have any good pictures.  Here is one of the underside of the seat where the rear bolts go into the floor through these straps. The straps are attached to the seat, then bolt down. That's 3 straps.

In the front, the 2 U-shaped pieces that originally bolted to the floor first attach to flat straps and then the straps bolt to the floor. That uses 4 more straps.  All need to have the holes the same distance apart. 

The straps have countersunk holes and you use flat head screws that go down into that recess. Those screws attach to the bracket in front or the seat in the back.

Hope this helps.

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

Hey, I'm working on the interior of my 63 and I was looking to move my front seats back as I am 6'5. 

Having everything out, I decided to try out mounting the front brackets where the back bolts already were...seems to work?

I have not delved into this other than that far just so I can still drive her and work on her. But my thoughts are some sort of support spacers and in the back. Possibly holes through the floor to the under carriage/frame or just tightened nuts? We will see when I get there.

Here's a pic from yesterday when I did it.

20220312_173423.jpg

20220312_173434.jpg

1 hour ago, 63Rivee said:

Hey, I'm working on the interior of my 63 and I was looking to move my front seats back as I am 6'5. 

Having everything out, I decided to try out mounting the front brackets where the back bolts already were...seems to work?

I have not delved into this other than that far just so I can still drive her and work on her. But my thoughts are some sort of support spacers and in the back. Possibly holes through the floor to the under carriage/frame or just tightened nuts? We will see when I get there.

Here's a pic from yesterday when I did it.

20220312_173423.jpg

20220312_173434.jpg

I think you will find that this position is too far back.  I am 6'5" and I find that the 2" that I moved my seat back is enough. It is comfortable to drive there. Your electric seat wires will not go as far back as you have moved it. You could maybe go 3". 

You will also find that you are missing some mounting holes when you try to reuse the rear holes for the front brackets.  There are 4 holes across the front and there are only 3 in the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

I think you will find that this position is too far back.  I am 6'5" and I find that the 2" that I moved my seat back is enough. It is comfortable to drive there. Your electric seat wires will not go as far back as you have moved it. You could maybe go 3". 

You will also find that you are missing some mounting holes when you try to reuse the rear holes for the front brackets.  There are 4 holes across the front and there are only 3 in the back.

Yeah, I noticed that it's short one hole. In the grand scheme, if I do end up mounting it there, I know ill have the fab it up. 

I can see how it feels a little far though.

And if ya havent seen my build yet Jim, the power seat wire length won't be a problem lol, as I'll be wiring my gal up fresh myself.

And if ya want to add my vin plate to your records I can shoot it your way. I have found your my 63 records keeper guy and much much more.

Have a great day

Jeremy

ROA 16627