Studebaker 337 8cyl 1929-33

Nicolas Macan

Oddly enough, you might try the Pierce-Arrow people...

, A 36 King Prod  catalog lists one 29-33 Stude 8 (Pres 8, 80, 90, 91, 92) that shares the piston ass'bly with  var 29-33 Stude trucks, Pierce-Arrow cars and trucks...

Valves  listing isn't that definite but seem to match altho spring change at eng FE22087

Bearings ??? can't compare as P-A bearings section only lists one 6 cyl  (weird---P-A piston ass'bly goes to 36, valves only to 32, one bearing listed 6cyl 21-28???).....

Another oddity---optional alum piston offered for Stude in Stude section, NOT listed in P-A section...

• Thanks 1

Here is a page from the 1983 article written by Bill Cannon for the Antique Studebaker Review with the interchange info for Studebaker and Pierce-Arrow engines.  It probably won't help much as they didn't build many engines of either brand.  

Most of the parts you mentioned should be re-usable if you are careful in disassembly.  The Chamberlin Mill in central Connecticut reclaimed a similar President engine from a sawmill after it had sat outside in rain and snow for more than 40 years.  They got it apart, cleaned up the pieces, and put it back together in the machine shops at the Mystic Seaport Museum.  It's running again.

Egge's catalog does show many of the President engine parts listed, but you'll have to ask them if they can actually deliver the parts.  Maybe Arias Pistons/Carrillo can also provide some of the engine parts.

Rebuilding a long-neglected 337 cubic inch President engine won't be easy, fast, or cheap, especially in Argentina.  Best of luck to you!

1430640574_PAStudebakerenginesASR1983.png.901f2d63d9e33fcc9e4f746bbebe267d.png  

1443780122_Gary_Ash-NateRosebrook_MysticCT.thumb.jpg.087d4d7fbec8c560350b78afb0aade22.jpg

• Thanks 1

The company Gary mentioned isn’t worth wasting your time........trust me. We have new valves and springs.......oil pump, usually timing Gears. Good used cams.We would also have rods, pins, and probably good used pistons in 20-30-40 over sizes. Probably have a new set of .040 pistons in stock.........Ross or a similar company, not the overseas junk. We never install used parts on customers engines......ever........but we will sell them to people trying to stay on a budget. Be aware, Stude and Pierce pistons from 29&30 are known to fail. Our valves come with new valve guides. I think using old valves is a mistake, as they burn easily with today’s fuel, and often they are sunk way to far down in the block. I have rebuilt countless of these motors, and the Chinese junk valves others sell are worth what you pay for them. We use modern stainless German blanks that are CNC machined....and have sold THOUSANDS of them, yes, thousands. If you want information on the parts, pm me, and I’ll get you our shop number. Best, Ed

CC85E4C1-9D75-453A-B86D-D028CF94A699.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bud Tierney said:

Oddly enough, you might try the Pierce-Arrow people...

, A 36 King Prod  catalog lists one 29-33 Stude 8 (Pres 8, 80, 90, 91, 92) that shares the piston ass'bly with  var 29-33 Stude trucks, Pierce-Arrow cars and trucks...

Valves  listing isn't that definite but seem to match altho spring change at eng FE22087

Bearings ??? can't compare as P-A bearings section only lists one 6 cyl  (weird---P-A piston ass'bly goes to 36, valves only to 32, one bearing listed 6cyl 21-28???).....

Another oddity---optional alum piston offered for Stude in Stude section, NOT listed in P-A section...

The Bahannalite pistons are multiple piece, and often fail.......had one go bad two years ago.

• Thanks 1

Here are some more photos of the FB engine as it was being rebuilt at Mystic Seaport in 2015.

Ed, do you have main and rod bearings that will fit Nicolas' 1929 engine?  Bill Cannon's article didn't address the interchangeabiliity those.

1652362277_IMG_3276(Custom).JPG.f3f280ffd0230ee2e4980b6ae616f9f0.JPG

1022244234_IMG_3277(Custom).JPG.36e6de1e64495f2c3387da65b468f4f2.JPG

1942506892_IMG_3278(Custom).JPG.65fdcca4d65fa340b526acb95bc37bd3.JPG

1797228280_IMG_3279(Custom).JPG.e20e9deb7fcced03649d5fc9c846e828.JPG

919432282_IMG_3280(Custom).JPG.e16448ee95a49ee9a353765ec0fa754f.JPG

1771505430_IMG_3284(Custom).JPG.8a9eb41eb406a590b3dbd8efc9bfbdab.JPG

979713897_IMG_3285(Custom).JPG.a6d864f00bc5eb94c7a31b2618fa6216.JPG

44294958_IMG_3287(Custom).JPG.88b9c58ee0ab1cac7729078680bfc755.JPG

• Thanks 1

Rods and mains are Babbitt. You can convert thr rods to inserts but it’s big time expensive..........like five times the cost of Babbitt. Not worth the effort. I have 25k very hard miles on my motor with Babbitt, and it’s still like new.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone, you have a wonderful experience about this wonderful car. I am going to save it and thanks to the info provided I am motivated and glad, I go step by step ..

I tell you that we discovered that a cylinder came out of the block and it has a horrible weld. The company where I am going to rectify the engine is going to sleeve and I bought set pistons fromHolland by ebay that are original.  The measure will be given by the pistons. I need the valves, valve guide and especially new connecting rods because the ones that have the measurements are all different and the bolts must have a good torque.

but it certainly won't give much compression to the engine. Hopefully I have resistance because my "baquet" is not for  tracks day,  is for long  and bad routes. ( patagonia and desert)

Captura.JPG

Foto 08-05-20 17 54 20.jpg

That’s a five main bearing engine, Pierce was a nine main bearing engine, every year. Not much will cross over. Rods are different for sure. 

After seeing the crack, and the rest of the engine, I would start with another entire unit. It’s too far gone to justify the expense and still end up with a block with problems/repairs. You need to sonic test the wall thickness on the cylinders. (Holes and thinness issues are common.) And the surface around the water jacket. This engine just is too far gone, and replacements are not that expensive........shipping, I have no idea.

Thanks, do you have any motor or block for sale?  I have a forwarder in Miami and they will send it to me easily.  I must send a car and spare parts in a 40 'container.  I have the space available.  

we are going to remove the sleeve from the current cylinder to see how the crack is  I will tell you.

Well, if you like, I have Pierce Arrow engines available........they are 366 or 385 cubic inches, and I can also get you a V-12 Pierce. I have a good running 1934 Pierce engine that was taken out of a car under restoration. All depends on what you want. The Stude motor shouldn’t be too hard to locate. It’s probably worth your time to buy an entire chassis......and use yours as spare parts.

Since you have the engine apart, you should be able to find the serial number at the very front by #1 piston.  That would help identify it and find the right parts, assuming the crack could be repaired.  I think I know of one 337 Studebaker engine that might be available, will check on it.

1954405928_FBserialnumber.thumb.png.7314fc8771dce3a5bbcf0d150d8145b1.png

Nicolas, I have been doing this for over forty years.........trust me, find another engine. 

If shipping is easy, a chassis would be a better choice. It will give you many more options. Between the cracked transmission and block, it’s the best option.

hello studerex!  As you have seen I am in a difficult position to negotiate.  😬.  however I am interested in the one with the most engine benches and the one that turns the motor.  Also if is 29-31 will ve crear too. I contact you by intern!  thank you very much to all.  We will see how this beautiful story continues.

Nicolas

I have read your other posts and now know what you are working on.  I will be glad to help.  First do you know Ignacio Antoine in Chille?  I sold him a 1931 president roadster last year and helped him on two 1930 president cabriolets.  He should have all the motor info I supplied.  Contact me at studerex@aol.com for contact info and any info you need.  Your motor was cast march 2nd 1930.  The body started as a FEL2 president touring and body #6.  The B is unknown.

Rex

Ignacio Antoine J.
Gerente General

Constructora Alfavial Ltda.
Longitudinal Sur Km 683 Oriente
Sector Metrenco - Temuco

1 hour ago, studerex said:

Ignacio and his dad at my shop putting a 31 roadster together in 4

Ignacio and his father are enthusiastic old car restored  from the south of my country and fans of the brand studebaker and Chrysler  👍🏻👍🏻

1 hour ago, studerex said:

Is what you have a race car or are you making one from what you have?  The car was originally a touring car.  I know where there are touring body parts.  I think Dick Quinn took photos of it when we seen it around 2009.