Convertible Top

stall

Hi Guys.

On my 90 Vert I have a very good (tan) top . I think that after a couple of years of ownership I should be cleaning it and maybe there's a preservative I should be using?  What are you guys using on the top??

Thanks 

Your question will probably get a different answer from each person that responds.

My suggestion is generic.......... Clean top, if it is presentable,  then just use mild detergent and a soft bristle brush to clean.

If you are concerned about the detergent affecting the paint,  put plastic drop cloth on the car before starting.

If the top is in good condition but noticeably dirty......protect the paint with a drop cloth......then experiment with different cleaners

(strength) until you find something that removes the dirt but does not damage the top material.

My example.....cleaning a white top that was dingy I was not making much progress with a variety of cleaners. 

I had some Wesley's whitewall cleaner.....somewhere I had read that detail shops used it to clean vinyl upholstery....but it must be diluted.

Don't recall the ratio that I first used but it was not working.... frustrated,  I tried a spot full strength...... it was light lighting a fuse...it was spreading and cleaning so I immediately flushed the area with water.... good results but it was out of control.... I finally found a dilute ration that would work.

many cleaners like the Wesley's should not get on the paint....   I had prepared my car by unlatching both the front and back of the top,   I wrapped the plastic drop cloth over the windshield, side windows and under the back of the top ...then closing to top to hold the plastic in place to protect the paint.

When you finish cleaning..... use a good vinyl protectant on the top when finished.    If you happen to have a "cloth" top....pretty much the same procedure.

Todays "cloth" tops are made from acrylic fiber...uv stable and the color is in the fiber so they do not fade.  The acrylic cloth material is tightly woven by is almost water tight on its own but a driving rain will leak past the weave... so the material used for tops is acrylic on the outside but there is a solid plastic film bonded on the inside to make them water tight.    Cloth tops are often called Hartz cloth,  however Hartz is a brand and there are other companies that make top material.

I used Ragg Topp on the white vinyl top on my ‘90 Reatta.  It uses a 2 step process first the cleaner, then the protectant.  I was very impressed with how well it cleaned, especially after leaving it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing.  I also used it on a Haartz cloth top on a 2004 VW bug. It was dull looking and water didn’t bead up on the top prior to the treatment.  After 1 treatment the top looked like new and water beaded up on the roof rather than soaking the cloth. Good stuff!

Raggtopp is excellent for Haartz Cloth, only thing I will use on that type top.  Vinyl tops are much more forgiving - Best thing for a white top is any spray cleaner with bleach, brings them back to like new.  Spray it on, let it sit a bit and clean with soft brush.  Protect paint as mentioned above.