Grandpa & GM car ID

dlh2460

Help with this car please.

First of all, my Grandpa and Grandma in the pic on the left, Married 66 years even after all the pics with his Polaroid with his thumb in the pictures. 😄 before or soon after they married, not their car, he was way too conservative for this one. 😉

They were married in '28

Just a few items I noticed.

Chrome bumpers, rounded headlight buckets, curve headlight bracket, tool door right side, heavy wheels, three-window coupe/roadster.

The wheels looked like Plymouth, door maybe Buick but not a 5 window or Cadillac, fancy chrome bumpers - Buick? Pontiac but no scroll on the top behind the doors.

GP GM 20's car.jpeg

Check out that rumble seat awning gizmo. Love it, great pic and fine looking family. Car is a Chrysler I believe, however the experts will be here shortly and give the definitive info. Think Kieser 31

11 hours ago, Doozer said:

Check out that rumble seat awning gizmo. Love it, great pic and fine looking family. Car is a Chrysler I believe, however the experts will be here shortly and give the definitive info. Think Kieser 31

Common accessory on all types of cars, from Fords to Duesenbergs. Having sat under one, I can assure it it only slows down the sunburn, and doesn't help with rain at all. Been there, done that!

• Like 2

Oh, but every old car fiend needs to do a hour or two in a rumble seat. It's a rite of passage, isn't it?

They can bring a lot of enjoyment.

Many years ago I was riding to a show with my best friend in HS in the rumble seat of a 1932 Packard 903 coupe-roadster. The owner and his wife were in the front.

We'd gotten fairly near our destination when my friend got the idea to use his hand on the outside to start gently tapping on the tail of the car as we moved away from a stop, varying the frequency of his tapping to match the speed of the car and tapping harder the faster we went. When the car slowed, he'd slow down the tapping and vice versa. We could the see the owner's face and it was clear he was hearing the noise and was trying to figure out what it was. He sped up and slowed down several times, listening carefully, and as his concern about what might be wrong grew, the frown on his face kept getting bigger and bigger, while our grins increased and we tried not to laugh.

He finally glanced in the rear view mirror and saw us both almost doubled over with mirth and realized instantly what was happening. His relief was palpable but we were still chastised soundly. And, yes, he did still bring us back home in the rumble seat after the show was over...

West will probably know who that widely-loved Packard owners was. Wonder if anyone else does?

When you told me what it was, I looked it up. The only ones that came up had wire wheels. But everything else was an exact match. When I first started searching, I found a couple of other Chrysler’s that had the same wheel.  But none matched the car.  

Now I can sleep better knowing what kind of car it is.