1980 Cadillac Coupe deVille - Not Mine

For Sale on Hemmings.com  in Ilion, New York  -  $9,995 negotiable  -  contact seller through website

Link:  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/coupe-deville/2382773.html

Seller’s Description:

Offered here is a beautiful 1980 Cadillac Coupe de Ville in Dark Blue Metallic. This car has been in my family for over 35 years and has been garage kept for most of that time.

This car was sold new in the latter part of 1980 at the famous Hanley Dawson Cadillac of Chicago, the largest Cadillac dealer in the country in the 1970s. A few years later it was traded in at Patrick Cadillac (owned by Hanley Dawson's son) in Schaumburg, IL. In September, 1983 my father traded in his 91,000 mile 1978 Chevrolet Impala station wagon on this car. At the time of his purchase, the odometer had 17,545 miles and this was his daily driver to and from his home in Schaumburg and his office in Des Plaines, IL until his passing in May, 1985. My mother drove the car for 4 or 5 years but finally decided that a 4,100 lb. car just over 18 feet in length was a bit more than she needed. She considered trading the car in on a newPontiac, but at the last minute I decided to buy the car for what the dealership was offering her as I just couldn't stand the thought of seeing my dad's dream car leaving the family just yet.

The original hub caps are in decent condition and they are surrounded by 4 Wide White Wall (WWW) Firestone FR380 all-season radial tires that were replaced when the car was put back on the road after the repaint. I would estimate there are less than 10,000 miles of use on them which means they have tens of thousands of miles left on the tread.

All of the steering linkages were replaced less than 5,000 miles ago so the steering is very responsive. The power steering has plenty of boost, making this a breeze to maneuver. New York has an annual safety inspection so the tires, brakes, lights, etc. have always been completely operational.

All of the brightwork is in good condition but does show some small spotting from 80K miles of use. Hood ornament, wheel cover centers and trunk lock cover all displaying the Cadillac crest still have bright chrome and bright colors.

The exterior is painted in Twilight Blue Metallic (code 029). The original GM lacquer was fading on the horizontal surfaces like the roof and rear trunk deck. In 2005, I had the entire car stripped down to bare metal, reprimed and painted in the same original color, this time using a modern basecoat / clearcoat. We also replaced the rear ¼ panel fillers which are notorious for becoming brittle and crumbling at this age and becoming an eyesore. I asked that they not go overboard with the buffing to give it the basic factory type finish. With a little time under a buffing wheel, the clearcoat could be buffed to a mirror like finish if that is your preference.

At the same time of the exterior refinish, we replaced the interior carpet with the matching Cadillac Dark Blue (code 26D). The rest of the interior upholstery is in excellent condition except for the normal wear one would expect from a driver's seat with someone at the wheel for over 80K miles. The 6 way power seat is fully operational as are the mechanically controlled remote driver and passenger door mirrors. The instruments are fully functional, and the climate control thermostat, mode selector and blower motor all work as designed. In the disclaimer department, the factory A/C is not working due to a leak that caused the system to lose its R-12 charge.

Headlamps are controlled by the automatic Twilight Sentinel that turns the lights on when it gets dark and shut them off when the car shuts off, with an adjustable delay. A pretty standard feature on today's cars, it was rather cutting edge back in the day.

The original car came with a basic AM/FM radio. My dad replaced it with an aftermarket AM/FM Cassette player was stopped working. I recently swapped that out with a RetroSound AM/FM that has a similar look to the original radio. Unlike the original radio, this unit provides for Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free calling (including a-in cabin microphone near the windshield visor mount) and a USB port for digital media. It's a 25W per channel unit that will give you similar volume output and sound to the OEM unit. Turning on the unit will also power up the car's antenna from the passenger side fender, which disappears when the car is turned off.

The trunk sports a full size spare and has ample room for a whole family's worth of luggage. The lid closes with tightly, however the trunk lid supports are getting a bit weak.

This car comes with the original 1980 Cadillac Owner's Manual, an original 32-page 1980 Cadillac Sales Catalog / Brochure, an original 1980 Cadillac Service Manual along with the 1980 Advance Service Information manual.

If you are looking for a solid, dependable and affordable model from the glory days of Cadillac as the American luxury car icon, here's your chance.

Price: $9,995 negotiable

image.thumb.png.b02aac5dd39b2ca87acb6c8f3551e2d2.png

image.png.8d213043514cc945ef03a942727546bd.png

image.png.53435b72cd3d3015f77ef595e6d80225.png

image.png.2d7ed0ee944d5233572578eb2d80b127.png

image.png.12460ba813a858c304070f9cdf4feeb1.png

image.png.3826735290667b3ae46e9839b9d0be1e.png

image.png.7029a0cb5fde040b106694769cfbb585.png

image.png.1d46e23ded50d1d0469db8c73c261d55.png

image.png.56f1775fd55a37541f2d4f78337481c3.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
insert link (see edit history)

These are wonderful road cars and behave nicely around town.  Cadillac introduced their 368 (6 liter) engine this year which was the best engine ever installed in this period Cadillac.  Good power (not like the dog 5.0 liter) introduced in 1982.  This is the engine that was converted to the 8-6-4 engine of 1981 which killed the engine for the public.  Commercial chassis continued to use this engine for several more years in the 1980  configuration.  I would average 19 MPG on the '80 I owned and put 150,000 miles on it.  

4 minutes ago, 61polara said:

These are wonderful road cars and behave nicely around town.  Cadillac introduced their 368 (6 liter) engine this year which was the best engine ever installed in this period Cadillac.  Good power (not like the dog 5.0 liter) introduced in 1982.  This is the engine that was converted to the 8-6-4 engine of 1981 which killed the engine for the public.  Commercial chassis continued to use this engine for several more years in the 1980  configuration.  I would average 19 MPG on the '80 I owned and put 150,000 miles on it.  

I had an 1981 Coupe from 1991 until 2006 when I sold it with 105,000 / two-owner original miles.  It had the 8-6-4 engine that had been converted to a straight 8.  Loved the car and I regret selling it but I ran out of garage space.  I purchased it in 1991 from the original owner who was an employee of Feldner Cadillac in Hackensack, NJ.  At that time it had about 58,000 miles on it.  Always garaged, that car turned heads everywhere we went and ran like a top.  It was undoubtedly the best car I've ever owned.  It was two-tone Jadestone Metallic & Seaspray Green and no vinyl top (never had to worry about water leaking in from some seam somewhere like on other GM cars I had owned.)  That car always made me smile whether driving her or just passing by in the garage.  She was beautiful!  

• Like 1