16 way power seat thigh bolster

Karlw144

Got issues with the thigh bolster in the 16 way power seat in my ‘90 convertible. All the other seat functions work as they should. I get a clank sound when I use the switch to move the bolster in either direction, and nothing really moves. Appears that the motor is in the center of the bolster and not very accessible. Any suggestions how to get this fixed would be appreciated. 
Thanks
Karl

I believe you will have to pull the seat to access the motors.  Not too difficult; 2 bolts fore and 2 aft on the seat frame, 2 electrical connections underneath.  Good time to clean out 30 years worth of junk under there too.😊

I took the seat out and all the rails and motors off the seat. The bolster motor is tucked up in the bolster, centered across the seat. It drives two cables that each drive some sort of gear mechanism, one on each side of the bolster. The motor runs both forward and reverse and winds the cable in each direction, maybe 2 full turns and quits turning. The mechanism on each side should drive on a screw to move the bolster. I tried shooting some penetrating oil into the mechanism, didn’t seem to help much. I could not figure how to get the bolster and mechanism separated from the seat. Seats back in for now and everything underneath and the seat have been cleaned. Bolster still doesn’t move☹️☹️

It's been a number of years but I believe I loosened the hold down bolts in the back and removed the hold down bolts in front. This allowed me to tip the seat back. I then used a pliers on the shaft and along with engaging the switch got it to turn.

Use my idea at your own caution as it has been years.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the thigh bolster working as it should. Just kept working it forward/reverse a couple of times a day and shooting a little more oil into the gearbox on each side every week. Gradually it turned a couple of turns in each direction, and one day, bingo, full travel. 

• Like 2