Can we track this car?

AHa

image.jpeg.63a9eca83037add14b8e48f0fc53c663.jpeg

This car was sold new to Thomas Morrison of Spring Lake NJ. I read somewhere that Ford has records of what car was sold to who. I'd like to find out if this car still exists today and who has it. The man in the picture is my grandfather, who was chauffeur to Mrs Morrison.

• Like 1

Without a serial number (VIN # in today's language) it is almost impossible to find it if it still exists.  I tried to find my dad's 39 Zephyr coupe, but didn't have the serial number to even start looking for it.  I had old license plate numbers, but our illustrious state governments purged all old registration files years ago so there are no records on these old cars as to their serial numbers.  There might be some records somewhere someone might have saved, but who knows where they might be in this day and time.  Even old insurance records might have information, but that's a tail chase too as those records were probably destroyed too.  Ford does have records of 'As Built' for some of their vehicles, but all are listed by serial numbers from what I understand.  I got the "As Built" on my '41 Zephyr, but then I had the serial number as I had to register it.  Good Luck tracking it down!

Cool picture.  Good luck with your search.  Did you try reaching out to the Morrison family?  If you shared the reason for your search, they may be amenable.  They may have a record of the vehicle still.  When I inherited my grandfather's car, he somehow had the records of the two previous owners.  I know its not the same but that generation had more of a propensity to hang on to paper documents.

Sadly, Thomas Morrison and wife had one child who preceeded them in death. I believe Thomas had siblings but have not as yet identified them. Not sure what happened to his considerable wealth when he passed. I believe he was somehow connected to the coal mining industry. If anybody has any knowledge, please share.

• 2 months later...

I keep the records of existing model L lincolns for the Lincoln owners club. Currently there isnt really any single person keeping records for K,KA and KB cars.  Out of 64,000  model L lincolns built there is about a 1% survival rate. I suspect perhaps there is a better rate among later cars, but I cannot be sure. 

You can contact the editor of the lincoln owners club greg bilpuch and ask him to post this picture in the club magazine. Without the serial number it will be  next to impossible to know if an existing car of the same body type is this car unless the cars verbal history is known to the current owner. 

Ford (the henry ford museum) does have the production records for these cars but it doesnt say who actually bought them and you still need the serial number to get the information they do have. The only information it gives that has much to do with its history is what state it was sent to for sales. Sadly, like most cars in old photos, I am afraid it would take a miracle to actually positively identify the car and a second one for it to have survived. Stranger things have happen of course. 

Here is gregs email: bilpuch@yahoo.com