1930 DeSoto CF on going project

Fossil

The last old car I owned was in the early 70's and a Model A ford. Those engines had shimmed rods. Do these straight 8's have those?

I'll respond to all suggestions and let everyone know what my research turns up. 

Thanks for any help you can provide and if there is a better place to post this please feel free to let me know. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

What does it take to remove the wheels from one of these? Never worked with wooden wheels before. Were there any old Chiltons or Motors manuals available when these vehicles were in use? I'm going to have to drop the drive shaft and work on the rear fender area. 

Remove hub/grease caps and then nut and bearing on front . Wheel comes off . Rears can be a little harder . Bolted to taper shaft . You will need special hub puller . Do search on DeSoto /Dodge site . most mopars same . Pic would help many cars were married to other drive trains over decades .

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. Lug nuts weren't obvious so it seemed that was more to this. 

PS

I like your UF.  I had a 36 humped back delivery. Only vehicle I wish I hadn't sold. I really like the old Dodge trucks. 

• Like 1

I pulled the drive shaft today and found the rear universal joint is bad. I was hoping that was the source of the noise I was hearing. Unfortunately that was not the case. After removing the fill plug on the differential and inserting my little finger inside it was found that the oil level was very low. So I stuck my finger in as far as I could and found large pieces laying in the bottom. By turning the pinion it would seem the ring and pinion are fine so at this point I'm guessing that at least one of the spider gears is broken and parts of it are dragging on the bottom of the ring gear.

Tomorrow complete disassembly of the differential will be attempted but I may need a special puller to get the rear wheels off so the axles can be removed. 

Thanks for your interest.  If you have any experience with these vehicle I'd love to have you post here. 

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if it comes to that. I did visit his site. I also have a lathe and milling machine so I might be able to build a puller. It's becoming clear this is not going to be a one week project. 

• Like 1

This dodge pic may help . Outer seal could be problem if wheels not off .

Thank you very much.

I did get the main body of the wheel puller machined and thankfully it screwed onto the hub of the wheel. Won't take much to finish it in the morning. Really looking forward to getting this disassembled and seeing just what the problem is. 

Finish fabricating the puller this morning and was able to remove the wheels from the back of the DeSoto. Brakes appear to be good drums also look to be in good condition. The end of the left axle shaft is going to need some attention as somebody beat on it for some reason.20200318_142048.thumb.jpg.b2c453d0a5b4793d23334c8519f5a19a.jpg20200318_142706.thumb.jpg.670abf9029d6df7fada62c7fbdd7011c.jpg

• Like 1

You know Tom I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than I figured I ever would. 

This is were I stand until I can find parts. As suspected the spider gears had fallen to the bottom of the housing. It appears that at least one of the spiders had started to freeze to the shaft and the shaft broke into 3 pieces. Two cogs are missing on one spider and the other 3 gears are damaged. Both of the conical spacers are shot. The carrier, ring and pinion are good.

Please check your pockets as I could really use these parts. :)

IMG_0709.thumb.JPG.b4a6dd0fa9d4546832ce3776c486e60a.JPGIMG_0704.thumb.JPG.196c9652e86326bfcf898b0d4c4d74a7.JPG

If I can find 2 conical washers, 1 spider gear and the shaft I can be on the road until more parts are found. Would also consider a whole third member or differential. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Chris

• Like 1

I've come up with more information. 😀 This from  AMS Obsolete       
13459 Fairmount Hwy
Fairmount, GA 30139
PH: (706) 337-4606
FX: (706) 243-6368

Chrysler part numbers for,

Pinion shaft.                318513

Thrust washer             663479

Spider gear                   308276

Side gear                       601858    Two of these are available. 

It appears from a conversation I just had with an ebay seller in Canada that he has all the parts I need to repair this differential. The transaction is to be completed on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the parts are correct.

• Like 1

Another break today. I think found someone who thinks he has a rear fender. Sent him photos and measurements of what I'm looking for. 

Will know tomorrow. Maybe just maybe. 

Ordered all the rest of the differential and axle parts today. They should be here within a week. Another guy is sending me a section of a fender that I hope to use to repair mine. The profile looks good in the photos. His bolt holes didn't line up and part of it wasn't in good shape but the part I need is. With spring coming I'm really looking forward to some time behind the wheel. 

I'm wondering if anyone here has a good substitute for the bolts that hold the clinch rings on the wheels? Someone had used modified carriage bolts on mine and the heads don't pull down.  

2 hours ago, Fossil said:

Ordered all the rest of the differential and axle parts today. They should be here within a week. Another guy is sending me a section of a fender that I hope to use to repair mine. The profile looks good in the photos. His bolt holes didn't line up and part of it wasn't in good shape but the part I need is. With spring coming I'm really looking forward to some time behind the wheel. 

I'm wondering if anyone here has a good substitute for the bolts that hold the clinch rings on the wheels? Someone had used modified carriage bolts on mine and the heads don't pull down.  

I have some that I can remove and send. How many do you need and are used items OK? Where are you located?

IMG_7393 (2).JPG

Glad you posted the photo as I had no idea what they looked like inside the rim. Only looked at one rim so far and that was by accident. Used ones would be just fine. I live in eastern SD.  57241

Get back to you tomorrow. I'm more than happy to pay for them and any cost to get them out here. 

Thank you for the offer! 

• Like 1

If it isn't working out please don't do it. It's not worth a lot of effort. I can make something to replace these carriage bolts. Just thought there might be some replacements out there.  

Thank you. 

23 minutes ago, Fossil said:

If it isn't working out please don't do it. It's not worth a lot of effort. I can make something to replace these carriage bolts. Just thought there might be some replacements out there.  

Thank you. 

I have sold and removed some before. It should not be much of a problem.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Just to throw a rock in the soup I have both kinds on my rims. Which were originals?

Well if the items I just sent do not match the originals, I have a money back policy, including shipping back and forth.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fossil said:

Looks like I would need 4. 

This is what they did and what I need. If the square shoulder had been removed they would have pulled into the holes. 20200324_214532.thumb.jpg.3442ea931369144f41076a2475013dc3.jpg20200324_214541.thumb.jpg.f4ca04913a79483e1655c447ba4a4de5.jpg

With a closer look, it looks like the flattened out type bolts are the items you need. Oops. Just send the package back for a full refund if they will not work.

• Like 2

I'll see how they fit. At least they don't have threads that can wear on things inside the wheel. I can put them in the lathe and reshape the heads. Will know more after seeing them. 

A kind gentleman offered me a Chrysler fender. After checking is was found that they weren't the same but a section might be usable. 

Received the section today along with tail light bracket. Was going to go fishing but just had to see if the fender could be made usable again.

As a refresher this is what I started with. 20200302_154230.thumb.jpg.daf25dbeff39b0baefbed22389aaefa8.jpg

The radius of fenders didn't match. 

20200330_140437.thumb.jpg.9ba6d6f95f0101267e2d7a1291bc1dc7.jpg

So a pie shaped section was remove just above the bead and the radius changed. Also the pieces were section diagonally to better blend them together. 

20200330_163249.thumb.jpg.ba08653e68f4d208beefe15cd2e872bd.jpg

And this is where the project stands as of now. A couple of rust spots need to be replaced but they won't be visible. 

20200330_171511.thumb.jpg.b3a551c9bcfae8512db470a9e6173afe.jpg