1941 Buick Connecting Rod Retainers

Buicknutty

Folks;

I have a minor dilemma here. I rebuilt the engine in my '41 Roadmaster about 10 years ago, and when I removed the connecting rods, they were sheet steel keepers/retainers like little bolts on the ends of the rods, underneath the fully torqued bolts. Many of them broke taking them off, as they are very flimsy sheet stock. Kind of like the "speed nuts" we've seen on other things. I could not get  replacements at the time, so I put it back together, and re used the ones I could. In the meantime I bought a set, I think from Bob's in California, but now I can't find them. Moved in the meantime, and I guess they're lost in action in a box somewhere.

So, I removed the engine oil pan from it the other day to replace the leaky gasket, and had planned on putting these things on, whilst it was off. Now I'm rather stymied, Bob's has them and call's them "Pal Nuts"

Does anyone have much experience with these, like how necessary are they? I've put over 10,000 miles on it, and all is well, so far, of course I'd like it to stay that way.

They are so flimsy, I'm not sure how much good they would do if a rod bolt came loose anyway, but the factory put them on for a reason.

The engine is holding up well, runs good, excellent oil pressure, and no oil burning.

Thank you!

Keith

Keith, the pal nuts, which one installs after the rod bolt nuts are torqued, are an additional insurance to prevent the nuts from backing off.  If twer me, they would get installed.

Don't you just love those leaky gaskets?

Ben 

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

They are "Pal Nuts" and are there to maintain the torque originally applied to the rod bolts.  Wisconsin Motors which built hundreds of thousands of industrial engines of all sizes used them also.  I have rebuilt numerous of those engines and always installed new "Pal "nuts on the rod bolts.  Cheap insurance.