antique auto anti-theft device???

I recently acquired what I was told was an early automotive anti-theft device. It is a very stoutly made cast "collar" that goes around a tire, and then closes and locks. It has a key lock built into it. Where it comes together to lock, it appears to be designed to go around a spoke. On the collar are 6 2-inch spikes that point out and down. Supposedly this thing would make it very inconvenient for a car thief. Does anyone know anything about this thing?? It is a very interesting artifact, whatever it is.

Aren't the spares on those oldies on the runningboards/fenders? Those car thiefs mustn't have put a lot of energy or thought into their profession to not work around THAT problem....Sounds like there was more of a chance of the car owner getting maimed or impaled with the contraption. Imagine the lawsuits if that were to fly off a wheel in todays world! Perhaps it locked on the steering wheel, ... the culprit would have to disembowel himself to make a 3 point turn! Say are you sure this wasn't purchased at an Adult Toy Store? Don't mind me...not enough sleep ... Steve

Gungeey, Few pre 1915 cars has spair wheels, the highend cars had spair rims and tires, but you had to remove them and attached them to the fellow of the wheel. These early wheel locks worked fine, they kept the rim and fellow attached and left a "footprint" in the dirt roads of the time if the car was stolen. The Miller-Chapman "Auto Theft Signal System" was one of the most popular brands, they came in different sizes to fit different wheel/tire sizes.

Are you telling me people would stand by and choose to be uninvolved in the "Early Years"as a car thumped down the road with a clump of cast iron attached to a wheel..an obvious sign of theft... and the owners would follow the repetative holes dug up by the prongs in search of their missing vehicle?? Not only do the thieves sound like fools, so do the townfolk!! The only ones missing are the Keystone Cops!Where the hell is the chauffeur?!! The man should be strung up by his thumbs! What are we paying him for? He must be in cahoots with the vermin!! Why,...if I ever find those hooligans....

Popular? This device was POP u lar? A lead pipe must have been a sensation! Ahh, progress..

gungeey, just like today, the bad guys would move on to something easier to steal. You also have to remember, in the old days, the bread and water wasn't as tastee as the steaks and ice tea in today's prisons. The bad guys would have a good reason to not even think about stealing anything in those days. We still have it pretty good here in Virginia. I've never taken the keys out of my street vehicles here in Virginia. Why, our local Sheriff is still on leave because of locking up the local restaurant owner and his DJ for having the music too loud! blush.gif He's the same guy that locked up the school band leader for marching his band too slow in our parade a few years ago. The band couldn't keep up with the fire engines! shocked.gif He's my neighbor, anybody would be crazier than him to steal anything in my neighborhood. crazy.gif Wayne