Complete Collectible Automobile Collection

Bruce O'Connor

I have every issue of Collectible Automobile magazine, starting with the initial issue (V1, No. 1), and extending to the current issue (V36, No. 5), that I acquired as a subscriber from day 1. All are in like new condition (having been read only by me) and are housed in CA slipcovers.  Can I have some advice as to how this collection can best be sold? I have seen a previous post from 2007 as to how to sell a partial collection. That information is dated and incomplete. And I have found no complete sets sold on eBay.

From both personal experience and online discussions, magazines in general are difficult to sell.  Collectible Automobile is physically heavier than most other car magazines so postage becomes a factor in marketability. 

One approach would be to break down the collection into batches sized to fill a postal flat-rate box. 

I sometimes check the 'sold' listings of big-time magazine vendors on eBay (feedback in the multiple thousands) and they too have been going with the 'batch' method. 

Selling them one at a time would take years. 

You could also advertise locally on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist to avoid shipping costs, but you have to deal with buyers face-to-face and not everyone likes to do that.

If you hear of other ideas please share them here so others may also benefit.

Hi Bruce. Welcome to AACA, and thanks for considering us. It is always a very good idea to include your location for any sales of large items. I have seen collections of magazines sold "Pick up only" here. Agree with Harold, magazines are generally slow to sell. Good luck, Bruce. Merry Christmas to  you.    -     Carl 

A few years ago, I bought a set of Collectible Automobile

that was complete up to maybe 2014.  It was advertised

in the newsletter of a near-by AACA region;  I paid about

$300 for it, and got a long run of Skinned Knuckles magazines

as a bonus.

That worked out to less than $2 per issue for the

Collectible Automobile issues.  All were in perfect condition.

I think, in general, more people want to get rid of

car magazines than the number of people seeking them.

Advertising them in a local newsletter to reach local car fans

might be a good choice for you.  Even if you're not a member

of a local AACA region, their newsletter editor might be happy

to have your ad, as it can benefit members.  Advertising there

reaches specifically your desired audience of antique-car fans--

not a general crowd--and avoids the cost of postage and the

effort to mail them.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Many thanks for all of your comments. I had thought that having a resource such as this collection would be attractive to auto collectors. it is just not a magazine - the articles have a lot of substance about the makes and models covered. I also have thought of donating the collection to a car museum. But I recognize that the hassle to me of boxing and shipping is the same for delivery to a museum as to an individual. 

I don't know that a car museum would use them,

but the AACA Library in Hershey, Penna. would be

a good place to donate them.  The library probably

has all issues, but they would sell them at their annual

sale to raise money.  Where are you located, Bruce?

I think Collectible Automobile is indeed just a magazine,

though it has a high-quality format.  A much better

researched publication was Automobile Quarterly,

issued only in hard-bound format 4 times a year, and

their issues don't bring all that much money either.

Add 3 words to your title, Bruce : Pickup Seattle Area. That should bring someone. Quite a few of us around/in Seattle. Very busy time for the next few days, though. Hmmmmmmm.................  mmmmmm.......... What a nice Christmas present to be enjoyed for years by a car guy/gal with plenty of bookshelf space.   -   Carl 

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce,

The listing looks good but in my experience auctions with a reserve price can be a turn-off to potential buyers.  It might be better to have an opening bid at or very close to your lowest acceptable price.

Please don't take this personally...it's just my opinion.

Harold