1942 Lincoln Continental power windows?

kevinsrods

Hello, I am making progress on the restoration of the 1942 Darrin Lincoln Continental Cabriolet.  The question I have as I begin to work on the power window operation of this vehicle is if there is anyone knowledgeable and/or servicing the vacuum parts for the power windows.  I do have all of the parts including spares that came with the parts car that I purchased but am wondering who might be able to restore or if there are ways to test the operation before going through the cosmetic restoration of said parts?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Kevin

Is it actually vacuum or hydraulic? Most cars of this vintage had a large pump and reservoir under the hood and tubing that would feed cylinders in the doors and used hydraulic fluid to move the windows. Some were powered both up and down and the switches spin the motor backwards to pull them down. Some simply have springs that pull them down and the switch merely releases pressure. I have not seen a vacuum setup, but if yours is a custom bodied car of some kind (I've never heard of a Darrin-bodied Continental but that doesn't mean such a thing doesn't exist) it might have some other system. The lone '42 Continental I've had, as well as the '41 Lincoln limousine, both with power windows used a pump to push the windows up and a spring to pull them down. The pump on the '41 was unobtainium, not sure what the '42 used. Hydro-E-Lectric (www.hydroe.com) stocks the pumps and cylinders for most of these systems.

• Like 1

No Matt, 42 Lincolns actually did use VACUUM windows. . . . (!) 

Why? I have never understood. Other makes used hydraulic (as troublesome as those can be) but not Lincoln. 

After the war (example the 46 Sportsman and Lincoln) Ford used hydraulic. 

It is very common for 42 owners to either convert to manual or switch to hydraulic from a postwar car. 

Experts? Go to the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. LZOC.org 

Then Start with Boos-Herrel parts  (www.boos-herrel.com) and Alan Whelihan (www.vintageautowarehouse.com)

for suggestions and referrals. 

On 12/17/2019 at 7:50 AM, 8E45E said:

And the 1942 was the first with the 'auto down' or 'one-touch down' feature, except Lincoln referred to it as an "emergency window drop".   Have fun with that at the drive-thru.

Craig

I don't think they all had it. Possibly was added later on during the production run, for obvious reasons of concern. Ours has it. Works well, too.

4 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I don't think they all had it. Possibly was added later on during the production run, for obvious reasons of concern. Ours has it. Works well, too.

I believe only on the closed models.  Cabriolets didn't have/need it.

I recall seeing some photos of your '42 in the old Car Collector magazine, ca. 1985.

Craig

• 1 year later...

Hello i want to convert hydraulic windows on a 1946 lincoln continetal with electric motors. is there someone who can give me the name of a supplier or a reference of the window regulator. the car is converted to 12 volts, negative to ground .

thank you 

stéphane