Steam Car Accessory

TerryB

My brother in law brought this over for me and I thought you might enjoy seeing it.  Patent date is April 1892.  Might fit a steam car with a really BIG boiler!  He said it came from a paper mill in NJ were he was the manager.  Looks as if it would make a lot of noise when it was working.  It’s a Kinsley & Frisbee from Bridgeport Connecticut.  20 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter.

7BD3A064-DA3E-4B11-BB47-BD95FA69E78E.jpeg

06FB4A2C-21F3-4109-B945-1C057B177433.jpeg

EB82DECE-F84A-4876-B735-644616B9C272.jpeg

Terry, as you probably know already, that whistle will use an enormous amount of steam, probably more than any steam automobile could generate. 

I've sailed on steamships with similar whistles.  A few years ago the market for large whistles was very strong, I have no idea of its present state.

Thats a very nice piece, thanks for sharing. 

If anyone had a real urge to annoy the neighbors it could be blown with compressed air but it probably would take more volume than most shop compressors.

My brother-in-law’s story is that it was mounted to the roof of the paper mill to signal the impending start, lunch break time and end of the day for the paper mill workers who lived nearby.  When the paper mill went through extensive rework, the whistle was removed from the roof.  No one wanted it so my brother in law took it home where he had it for 40 years.  He no longer wanted it so he gave it to me with the deal he will get 1/2 of what I sell it for which I will be doing at some point.  It’s heavy, about 40 lbs, and yes I’m sure it would take a bunch of steam or compressed air for it to make some noise.