47 Lin Oil Prssure Valve?

Cokekid

• 5 weeks later...

I was hoping to see a reply, I was wondering too, for when I take my engine apart some year.  Maybe pre-war/post war?  Or is one aftermarket?  How about it Mr. Murphy, Jeff,  Larry, ..... I don't know, we need a long term veteran here- many out there, anyone know?

I did some research and found informstion taken from "The Lincoln Continental" by OCee Rtch, published by Floyd Clymer. The very 1st book i purchased  on old cars in 1965. In the tech part

it mentions the valve as "valve-( hydraulic tappet bypass). P/N 86H-6544; Also in the 2 parts books I have, it is mentioned also. You need it if you are keeping your hyd. lifters and hyd cam. The 2 you show are at least 2 available at the time. The tops are "staked" to lock the cap . This unit is delicate with a small spring and very small ball bearing  as a check valve. They can be cleaned and reinsalled.

You may want to check on our website under "sources" and purchase new one. 

"The Late Great " Hunt Barrington knew this part .  A whole article on this was mentioned in either early  "Continental Comments"  or "The Way of the Zephyr" . When I get the time I will dig it out.

Anyone else ---jump on now and tell us what you know .---Later

It is an orifice meant to reduce oil pressure and volume right off mainline oil pump feed to reduced flow for lifters, not wanting

hydraulic lifters to be over pressured and and thus fog the valve chamber ....the style is anyones guess, and not important....The main resom=n to replace I expect is to be assured that it is clean...at the end of the lifter oil gally is another short 2lb or so spring and ball to regulate the pressure in

the lifter rail, and source of oil for the timing gears.......The old conversions to solid tappets always show a modified deal with an added 1/4 or so line running ft to back to supply that tgear oil....

Larry

I will be using one of them as I have Hydraulic Lifters. My problem how do I go  about to clean these two valves.? One has a screw which is almost impossible to turn so as to not damaging beyond using it  As for the  other one I see no way to dismantle it. 

Mssr. Bwatoe

Great info on the workings of this valve

You might check with Earle Brown who's contact information is on the club site as he has motor components.  If you try to clean and repair them and they fail you have to tear it all down again which is a bummer.  If replacement units are available that would be better.  Boos Harrel might have them too.  Good luck in your search!

Good idea.....spend a few bucks and save yourself a lot of grief having to go back in and replace them later.  Very important to properly oil the lifters as they can get very noisy from lack of lube.  Engineers of that day did the best they could with the problematic V12 engines.