William "C" Durant

Guest c.johnson

Guest c.johnson

Ok, you have all heard about bad looking cars, and cars with funny (stupid) names, but did the "C" in "William C. Durant" (look at car history if you have no idea who he was)really stand for "Crapo"? confused.gifshocked.gifblush.gif

I've heard the rumor several times, but never seen his name spelled out completely.

If this is true, I think I understand why the "C" was used in it's place.

Just thinking out loud....

cj

Yes...Durant's full name was William Crapo Durant. William's middle name was pronounced as "CRAY-PO".

You are absolutely right....since Crapo was his middle name, the letter "C" was used as his middle initial (most middle initials do match the first letter of the middle name).

His middle name probably came from his maternal grandfather, who was named Henry Crapo. From what I have read, Mr. Crapo owned a lumberyard in Michigan in the late 1800s. Henry Crapo was governor of Michigan during the Civil War and for a term afterwards.

Yes, "Cliff" Durant...... whose full name was Russell Clifford Durant...... was William Crapo Durant's son and owned race cars.

He owned quite a few race cars. In the 1923 Indy 500, he had 7 entries under his name.

Guest c.johnson

Yes, thanks to all! A lot of interesting information. Best of all, now I can tell my neighbor he's pronouncing it wrong!! grin.gif You should hear how he says "Chevrolet". wink.gif

cj