Sign in to follow this  
c.johnson

William "C" Durant

Ok, you have all heard about bad looking cars, and cars with funny (stupid) names, but did the "C" in "William C. Durant" (look at car history if you have no idea who he was)really stand for "Crapo"? confused.gifshocked.gifblush.gif

I've heard the rumor several times, but never seen his name spelled out completely.

If this is true, I think I understand why the "C" was used in it's place.

Just thinking out loud....

cj

Yes...Durant's full name was William Crapo Durant. William's middle name was pronounced as "CRAY-PO".

You are absolutely right....since Crapo was his middle name, the letter "C" was used as his middle initial (most middle initials do match the first letter of the middle name).

His middle name probably came from his maternal grandfather, who was named Henry Crapo. From what I have read, Mr. Crapo owned a lumberyard in Michigan in the late 1800s. Henry Crapo was governor of Michigan during the Civil War and for a term afterwards.

I read his biography once. Middle name was Crapo. I can't remember the name of the book.

But it was all about how he put together GM, lost it, got it back, lost it again, and ended up owning a bowling alley..of course my memory could be wrong on all of the facts.

Actually he ended up <span style="font-style: italic">managing</span> a bowling alley. His story is one of the most extreme rags to riches to rags to riches to rags stories I have ever heard of.

Was "Cliff" Durant his son? He ran a good size INDY 500 team in the 1920's, Millers with Durant logos painted on the sides.

Yes, "Cliff" Durant...... whose full name was Russell Clifford Durant...... was William Crapo Durant's son and owned race cars.

He owned quite a few race cars. In the 1923 Indy 500, he had 7 entries under his name.

Cliff was a Big Guy, if you look at the factory race car team photo, his car has one of the first "Wide Bodies" with bulges on the seat area to accommodate him.

Thanks, Bruce! I have always wanted to know about the pronunciation of Mr. Durant's middle name. I have heard it pronounced another way (the obvious one) and always wondered about this.

Yes, thanks to all! A lot of interesting information. Best of all, now I can tell my neighbor he's pronouncing it wrong!! grin.gif You should hear how he says "Chevrolet". wink.gif

cj