New Scam 310-362-0815 Tim & Jay

supercargirl

A client recently sent an e-mail from two guys looking for Austin Healey's and other British cars. It was signed Tim & Jay with the phone number 310-362-0815.  I've received the same e-mail and when I started asking who they were they disappeared.  But my client is a nice guy and he was pretty excited because they sounded like real buyers.  I googled the number.  It's a scam.

Number 3103630815 reportsSCAM/SPAM SUSPECTED

Air-cooled Pcar guy • Posted 18 Oct 2019

Sent me an email looking for a classic air-cooled car or BMW. Had no idea who the hell Chris (who supposedly referred him to me) was, but "Chris'" email was CC'd: chris.treasurer1958@gmail.com. Thought it might have been someone in my local car club. Here's the email: This is Jay. Chris (here in copy of this message) referred me to you. I restore and collect mostly German cars and I'm looking to buy a Porsche 356 or 911 air-cooled. I'm also interested on a 70's to 90's BMW, E9, 2002Tii, M3, 850 etc... I will consider any condition, from a project to a driver or concours. Please let me know if you can help and do not hesitate to email or call back with any advises. PS: i'm always interested in buying used/OEM parts for European classic/sports cars. Not always easy to find the right part at the right moment. Sincerely, Jay & James 310-363-0815

• Call type: OtherJust Me • Posted 28 Jun 2019

Just received same email, looking to buy a classic car, with this phone number in it. Sure looks like a scam. The writer used poor grammar and misused words. The email purports to come from "timmcdowall6@gmail.com" and copies "Chris.Treasurer1958@gmail.com." And it said "reference Tim." Yet it was signed by Tim and my first name. In theory, it would be from Tim and Chris. Too many negative signs. I'm not selling my car anyway!

• Call type: Scam SuspicionJoe C. • Posted 19 Jun 2019

Called about purchasing a car from me for export to France. No indication of scam. Legitimate businessman.

• Call type: OtherGreg • Posted 02 Jun 2019

Sent me email saying referred by Bob (?). Interested in British classic cars for restoration. Didn't respond and blocked email address.

• Call type: OtherHarlan • Posted 11 Apr 2019

They say they spoke with me in the past about doing work on my house.

Clinton, Bill • Posted 11 Apr 2019

Possible fraud

There are always people looking to buy wholesale higher demand cars. But who in their right mind tries to buy wholesale from a broker such as yourself or a dealer

You people are in business to find retail buyers for cars that you are yourself in a wholesale position on. No 911 really "needs " a broker these days, the market is eager and willing. 

British sports cars are a bit of a different market, most project sports cars are not any sort of money makers. Unless someone is talking about one of the handful of unrestored Aston Martins 

still in existence. Or possibly a early E type that isn't a complete basket case. 

Otherwise all of these " cash awaits ", "wanted " ads are con's of one sort or another. 

Greg in Canada

The one I got about a month ago came from an address in Oklahoma (Garage) I forward it to a popular blogger in Oklahoma and he  told me it sounded suspicious . When I Google the address it was a strip plaza. I have been dealing with these guys for the past 30  or more years . All Nigerian scams. The Language  and sentences are poor, is the first clue . Some came from England and  Spain. The story goes like this " My  father died and did not leave a will but my lawyer said he could bypass that  but keep it quiet. I need ex amount of dollars to process the will  and when I get the money I will share It with you "  Some of the letters came with a printed form to fill out including bank  a/c # into which he will deposit the money.There are several variations. This one  actually happened to me here in Toronto a few years ago. I advertised a Land rover for sale  Price 10000 dollars.  The buyer said he will send  me a check. " I will send you a check for 13000 dollars. Send me a thousand  cash by Union gram so I can pay the trailer guy to pick it up and you can keep the rest." Again, Nigerian scam. Here in Toronto they steal a lot of high end cars and store them in containers and  ship  to Africa where the authorities are notoriously corrupt. 

How do  they manage to get bank certified cheques that looks so authentic ? This Oklahoma guy  emailed me a picture of an Australian 28 Dodge  Very complete and in good condition. He said " send me money so I can pay my mechanic to remove the parts " . I am telling you, there are registered bloggers on this forum also who are scammers.

Yes there are scammers on this site and every automobile site in the world.  That's why I always post about them.  A bunch of really bad guys in England are now doing time in the UK.  Unfortunately there is still one guy in the group on the loose in CA.  But if we let them know we are on to them and  alert people to their nefarious activities we are doing some damage to their operation.  I called out the UK guys loudly on the Alfa forum - ABC Brokers.  One time they tried to sell me a car that was sitting on the floor at Algar Ferrari here in Philadelphia. I was so happy to read they went to prison.  

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)