New Reatta Owner - Turn signal problem

Philbo

Hi Everyone,

I recently became the owner of a 1990 convertible Buick Reatta. When doing research about the car I came across this forum and there seems to be a really good community of fellow Reatta owners here.  I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  I look forward to reading through some of the wealth of knowledge here.

Also I have what seems to be an unusual problem that I cannot find any information on.  When I turn either turn signal on, they flash very eratically. I may get one or two good flashes, but then they just flicker, sometimes cutting out, sometimes going back to normal flashing for a blink or two, then flickering again.  I have two clues, first when they flicker, I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking extremely fast behind the passenger seat. It makes almost a buzzing sound.  The second clue is that the hazard lights operate perfectly normally so I do not think it is an issue with any of the bulbs.  Has anybody else had this issue?  The other thing to note is that the guy I purchased the car from had an aftermarket alarm system installed. It seems to be working properly, but I think it does tie into the lights somehow  I tried disconnecting it but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks everyone!

There are two canister flashers high up under the dash on the drivers side, one for the Hazards, and the other for the Directionals. If the Hazards work as they should I would tend to believe that the directional flasher will work once the can is replaced. It is a long reach and at first you will say that they are not there. To make it easy and as the Hazard flasher works as it should, turn that flasher on and when you finally find both, just put your hand on them one at a time and when you feel the flasher "click" in your hand you will know that is the Hazard flasher and that you should swap the other one. 

You can carefully pull the flashers down  lower under the dash as there is enough wire. It will make swapping them easier later in the future. There is plenty of "other wire" to hold them in suspension without starting a rattle.

If the turn signals act the same (right and left) then it is probably the flasher as Dave mentioned.

If only one side is acting up it could be a relay.........there is 4 relays...... front (right and left)   rear (right and left)  the relays take the load off the turn signal switch because the Reatta has so many lamps.

The front relays are in the relay box in front of the air cleaner...........the rear relays are in the trunk...... they are on the rear side of the right wheel well on a coupe..........on a convertible they are best reached by raising the boot,

on the passenger side. they are behind the passenger seat 

58 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

If the turn signals act the same (right and left) then it is probably the flasher as Dave mentioned.

If only one side is acting up it could be a relay.........there is 4 relays...... front (right and left)   rear (right and left)  the relays take the load off the turn signal switch because the Reatta has so many lamps.

The front relays are in the relay box in front of the air cleaner...........the rear relays are in the trunk...... they are on the rear side of the right wheel well on a coupe..........on a convertible they are best reached by raising the boot,

on the passenger side. they are behind the passenger seat 

yeah both sides are acting the same.  What do the flashers look like?  Is it another relay?  Is that something I can get at a local parts store?  Also does removing the instrument panel make it easier to get to?  I have the 00 Error Dash problem, so I have to remove it and try cleaning the contacts anyway.

Never thought of LEd, so yeah consider that. I don't think you have LED as the flashers work and might not if you have LED. 

There is no access to the flashers through the dash, only up from the bottom or top and the top is not the way to go.

The flashers look like little canisters. Google them and you will see what you will be looking for.

Daves89 you were right.  I got in there and found the flashers and replaced the one for the turn signals and everything is working properly now.  They are not too hard to get to if you remove the Knee Bolster and Steering Column Reinforcement plate (see pictures).  Somehow I managed to short something out trying to get them back up there and blew the fuse for the hazards. Should have taken your advice and just let them hang there.  Thanks for the help by the way.  One more step to getting her seaworthy.

IMG_20191027_1543391.jpg

IMG_20191027_1543304.jpg

Edited by Philbo (see edit history)