1955 Buick Roadmaster Stone Guards

Michael CPA

I am still in search of some 1955 Buick Roadmaster Stone Guards that are located on the rear quarter panel of the car.  I am attaching a picture of mine that are shot.  These are the last two parts I need to have a great daily driver.  I am a purest and want the car to have everything possible as close to the original.  The yellow one is what is looked like when I bought it.  The red / black is what my concept of the car will look like after, but a roadmaster instead of a super.  

Incidentally, if you have them, I will most likely fly to you and pick them up personally. 

I am coming to the end of my restoration project.  The Chrome and interior panels / seats are complete.  Paint is off completely.  All mechanical works.  Gary Cecchine of oldbuickparts.com have been great to work with and I highly recommend them.   MrEarl from this site has been a tremendous supporter and I  am grateful for all of his guidance.    I am hopeful the project will be completed by Christmas.  

Thank you in advance for whoever helps me complete this car.   

20190906_145440.jpg

20190906_144935.jpg

9D37D5FE-1161-48FA-8700-630797FFB2BD_1.jpg

70508031_684532715380817_174993902695088128_n (1).jpg

• Thanks 1

Michael -- If you absolutely had to (and if you can stand the expense), I believe -- based on my own experience -- that you can find a first-class plating shop that can repair your damaged gravel shields.  In my own case, a few years back I had a near-destroyed, irreplaceable pair of '41 Cadillac stainless lower fender-skirt moldings (mangled against curbs) that I'd given up for dead.  But Sherm's Custom Plating in Sacramento CA persuaded me that restoration was possible, which they accomplished by first repairing the cracks and then by heavily copper-plating (so as to provide surfaceable stock), followed by some dazzling chrome plating.  While those moldings (which incorporate a double-rib detail along the upper edge) now pack quite a bit more "pop" than the original stainless finish, I have had far worse to complain about in my time!     

• Like 1

Thanks Buickborn.  My son is an engineer and actually I am going to first see if he can Autocad the ones I have based on the curvature of my quarter panels and what we have.  We will have to guess a little on the tapering and make sure the edges will be snug.  Next, I am meeting with Atlanta WaterJet.  Those guys are master carvers that carver nearly anything out of metal using high pressure water.  They are clients of mine and are cutting me a deal.  If that works, I believe I could easily carve 10 of these and sell them tomorrow.  

If that doesnt work, I will definitely hook up with your buds at Sherms Custom Plating.  I plated the rest of the Roadmaster at Dallas Plating here in Atlanta.  I picked them up today and they look amazing and they did a Concours level job. (See attached) They are saying that the holes will need welding and that a large area has been eaten up by salt and makes them impossible to put a weld on.  The only way I suspect these could be used would be multiple dips in the weak areas with a metal such as lead.  

73047595_559820804827362_2156370089954246656_n.jpg

73513479_703569666804392_4625384004869160960_n.jpg

Those gravel shields are very much repairable.  I know they are hard to find for your car.  If I were you I'd already have then senr out to the right shop for restoration.  Different shops have different ways to repair and what one shop may consider beyond repair, another would repair without doubt.  I've had worse parts repaired to show quality.

• Like 1