66 GTO with 4:10

Robert G. Smits

Jacked up the 66 to confirm the rear end ratio yesterday and discovered it is a closed rear end.  My question is that there is a fair amount of resistance to rotating the wheels.  Is this normal for a closed rear end or do I have brakes dragging?  Car is new to me but essentially everything was replaced by the PO two years ago and has been driven approximately 1400 miles.  Thanks

If the rear end is not making any strange noises most likely it is brakes.  Pull the rear drums and you will know pretty quickly.  You should be able to back off the rear shoes to check without removing the drums.  You may have the classic "stuck" emergency brake cable?  They get rusty over the years.  Check to see the cable is not tight.  The rear end should spin freely.  You can always use the hot test, drive the car a few miles without using the brakes, and check for hot drums, try not to touch them, easy to get burned.  If it is dragging the wheel should get warm, you can do the same with the rear end.  Friction/dragging always causes heat.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Robert G. Smits said:

Jacked up the 66 to confirm the rear end ratio yesterday   My question is that there is a fair amount of resistance to rotating the wheels.

Jacked up one wheel or two?    Assuming that there is NO BRAKE drag:

If it has a limited slip type differential (positraction) then with One wheel on the ground and the trans in neutral then there is supposed to be resistance to turning the jacked up wheel.  (it means the limited slip action is working)

Get BOTH tires off the ground and with the trans in neutral (and positraction working) both tires should rotate freely and in the same direction. 

Non-limited slip differential - one wheel up, trans in neutral and it should spin freely. Both wheels up, trans in neutral and the other wheel may or may not spin. Put trans in gear (park) and spin one wheel and other should spin opposite direction. 

Now with an understanding how it is supposed to work, you should be able to better evaluate any brake drag. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

I originally jacked up the passenger wheel. No movement at all.  As m-mman stated i assumed with a limited slip there would be resistance but some movement.  there was none.  With both wheels jacked up they turn in unison but with resistance.  Could I have a Detroit Locker rather than a limited slip differential??I will try backing  the brakes off first.  Thanks

With both wheels up and trans in neutral the only resistance to spinning will be from the brakes. 

Back them off, pull the drums, make things right, etc. When they are free, then you can begin to evaluate the differential. 

If this is a manual tranny there will me minimal resistance, but some.

If it is a automatic there will be more.

If you have brakes dragging I would think you would hear that while manually spinning the wheels.

Maybe take the driveline from the diff ??