1932 Buick cylinder heads

Robert Engle

I am working with 3 32 50 series cylinder heads. In the process I noticed on head was marked differently.

They all have the same casting numbers.  Number 1 & 2 have the Buick logo cast in the head.

The 3rd has no Buick logo but has GM cast into the block.  All heads came off of 1932 Buicks.  Is it possible that the GM head is a later year head that dimensionally is the same as the 1932 Heads??

Bob Engle

1_1024x768.jpg

2_1024x768.jpg

3_1024x768.jpg

• 2 months later...

Bob, has the same thing come up with my 34 66S.  It had a GM logo on it.  All the 33/60 heads I had as parts had the Buick logo.  I think the castings were changed for the 34 model year?  I finally found another 34 head to replace my cracked one. It had cracks too, but more repairable.  Seems like everything had cracks in the 30s.  Had a terrible time with exhaust manifolds too.  Had to use 33 stuff on the 34.  Again, they had different casting marks on them too!

Here is mine. Do they usually Crack in the same spots? If so where are the weak spots? I found no cracks but this engine had two bent pushrods in number one. I figured head gasket and hydrolock held the valves so the rods bent.

20181204_160356-1.jpg

Cracks occur on the head gasket side at the water passages, between the intake and exhaust valve seats and some have broken at the  rocker arm stanchions.  If you look at your cylinder head, you can see where the head bolts have damaged the surface on the head.  Your head bolts  will show a tapered wear on them.  The head bolt hex is small for the bolt diameter and tightening over the years causes this wear.  If not corrected, cracks can occur at this point.  I encourage people to add hardened washers on the head bolts.  These are commonly available as they are used on most modern aluminum cylinder heads.  I also recommend that you  put your head bolts in a lathe and cut the bottom of the hex back to a square surface.

Bob Engle