65 Riv - TH400 - replacing kick down solenoid etc...

moran75

Hi all

I need to change my switch pitch/kick down connector terminal at the transmission...its spinning...and potentially the solenoid inside...

RE the solenoid - manual suggests i need to remove control valve body assembly/gov pipes (pg 5-109) before removing what's referred to as 'detent' solenoid...but rae these instructions refrring to a full tear down? Will it be possible to remove and replace solenoid without removing the valve body?

Also...manual refers to an 'electrical detent solenoid  (kick down) AND stator solenoid (switch pitch)' - is there an additional solenoid for the switch pitch somewhere? or does the one 'detent' solenoid control both functions? I think it does both - but thought i'd check...

Thanks in advance

Kevin

I’m thinking more of what happens on the inside of the pan - the solenoid. Does that ‘detent’ solenoid handle both switch pitch and kick down functions? Or is there a second solenoid somewhere inside transmission...

Cheers

kev

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I do not think that the "switch pitch" and the kickdown engage at the same instant.  

Ed is correct - pitch control and kick-down are independent functions.  The 'kick-down' switch on the throttle linkage of a switch-pitch car likewise contains two sets of contacts.  High stall switchover occurs first, followed by kickdown to 2nd gear as your foot approaches the mat...

• Like 1