1964 Skylark Seat Replacement Options

Machine Gun

I've had my Skylark for five years now and put a few thousand miles on it in that time. My wife and I have been talking about taking it on extended road trips. It's a four-door sedan with a bench seat that's very uncomfortable for us on trips longer than two hours or so, and we're thinking of replacing the stock seat with modern bucket seats with headrests. Web searches for replacement seats return a dizzying array of products that range from the very cheap to seats that cost more than what I paid for the car. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has replaced their stock seats with modern aftermarket ones in their postwar Buick. What brands and suppliers are worth looking into? Any tips or recommendations, positive or negative, on the overall idea of replacing the stock seats? Thanx.

Jim,

Take a look at Procar seats. A friend and I did three days of the Hotrod Power Tour in his '65 Gran Sport that he installed the Procar 80-1400 seats.  I found the seats to be very comfortable. He chose to use the low back style seat because they look similar to the original bucket seats.

Loren

• Thanks 1

The main issue I'm thinking about right now is that the front and rear seat upholstery will no longer match, and I'd probably have to reupholster one or the other. Between the cost of the seats, brackets, possible welding, and a reupholstery job, I think I'm going to table the idea altogether. Thanx for your input.

7 hours ago, old-tank said:

Absolutely! That's the approach I plan to take, and thank you for the suggestion. That can solve the lower back discomfort while also sitting me higher up in the sagging driver's seat. Jabba the Hutt must have been one of the prior owners, not only because of the seat sag, but also because I had to swap out the front seat belts for a much smaller set. When the belts that were installed when I bought the car were tightened as much as possible there was enough room to fit a small child in the seat belt with me: no kidding!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Machine Gun said:

Jabba the Hutt must have been one of the prior owners, not only because of the seat sag, but also because I had to swap out the front seat belts for a much smaller set. When the belts that were installed when I bought the car were tightened as much as possible there was enough room to fit a small child in the seat belt with me: no kidding!

OTOH, PO might have been 4'6" and had the seat all the way forward.  Were there any blocks on the pedals? ;) 

11 hours ago, KongaMan said:

OTOH, PO might have been 4'6" and had the seat all the way forward.  Were there any blocks on the pedals? ;) 

Good point, I never thought about a short guy. But I'd rather think that someone famous like Jabba once owned the car.

• 2 weeks later...

@Old-Tank: My wife bought one of these for her car awhile ago: Car seat cushion. I didn't even think of trying it in the Skylark until it showed up in the link you provided. I didn't think it would do anything because it's pretty thin and there's no back support, but it wasn't going to cost me anything to try it. As it turned out, it did the trick. It's just thick enough to get my view where I want it, and surprisingly it seems to have made a slight difference in my lower back comfort (not sure why that would be). I'm going to use it for awhile, and if it works out I'll get one of my own.

I'm glad this seems to have worked out. I'd be hard pressed to recommend it though, since there's no way to know what would work for you. I'm hesitant to buy anything online that really needs to be tried, particularly things that involve personal comfort. Sure, Amazon has a good return policy, but it's a PITA to have to deal with that sort of thing. Anyway, thanx for the tip. You helped save me a kilobuck or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1