2019 New England Brass and Gas tour pics

Tom400CFI

Hi folks,

Figured there would be interest in the Hupp forum...not sure if I should post in the "Tours and Meets" forum too?

At any rate, here is a link to story and pics from the '19 NE Brass and Gas tour...which was totally awesome.  Read on, look at nice pics, and enjoy!....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4291505-increadible-car-guy-week-in-nh.html

Edited by Tom400CFI (see edit history)

Tom, Sorry to read that your Hupp had engine problems, we chased that car on a Gas & Brass back in the late 1980's with our 1912 T Touring, we never lost sight of two 50HP Simplex toy tonneaus. I finally added a 1911 Hupp to my garage, plan on working on it later this afternoon. Bob 

Tom Sorry  to hear  about the Hupp I know the feeling having just had  my engine out with the suspected same thing. In the end was  nothing more than  a loose  flywheel which fooled  more experienced  people than me .

However you are lucky that the crank wasn't damaged . The Joys of old cars --I have just spent  several hours  in the shed fiddling with  the throttle linkage  on the Breeze.  I wasn't getting full  butterfly opening  on  full gas pedal    I fixed it   but absolutely no change in   performance  and the  throttle linkage became so complicated that it  wouldn't revert back to idle when I let the gas off - I took the whole lot off and went back to  how it was previously ..  Go figure !  -Karl 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:30 PM, 1910Hupp said:

Tom Sorry  to hear  about the Hupp I know the feeling having just had  my engine out with the suspected same thing. In the end was  nothing more than  a loose  flywheel which fooled  more experienced  people than me .

However you are lucky that the crank wasn't damaged . The Joys of old cars --I have just spent  several hours  in the shed fiddling with  the throttle linkage  on the Breeze.  I wasn't getting full  butterfly opening  on  full gas pedal    I fixed it   but absolutely no change in   performance  and the  throttle linkage became so complicated that it  wouldn't revert back to idle when I let the gas off - I took the whole lot off and went back to  how it was previously ..  Go figure !  -Karl 

Our Hupp has the same behavior; the last 1/2 of the throttle doesn't really do anything.  I think it's due to the incredibly inefficient carb design, the lack of valve lift (the valve is the limiting factor to intake flow)...or both. 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, MochetVelo said:

Nice story. First time I've heard the Hupp 20 described in comparison to the Corvette. Keep us informed of your engine rebuild. 

Phil

Ha ha ha....well, you noticed who the audience was over there! :)

Glad someone you found the posts interesting.  The tour was awesome.  

Tom  Nice to know some one else has the same   problem . I have still fabricated a new  bell crank linkage which gives me   the full range of butterfly  movement without the previous  binding- although I have no expectation of  lightening performance .

I think the valve lift is the issue. as I've noticed at full throttle there is a heck of a lot  of gas vapour pouring out the bottom of the carb.  My theory  is  all the vapour the carb is producing  can't get past the  inlet valves  and hence blows back . I missed a trick I should  have made  a slightly higher lift  camshaft when I fabricated  one to replace the   broken one !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why you're getting gasoline (vapor?) coming from the carb at WOT; it should be sucking it all in.  But IMO when you get good throttle sensitivity at low throttle angles and none at high, then that means the that the throttle bore is too big for the rest of the engine.  Since the manifold and ports seem large (larger than the throttle bore, and since the cam only opens the valves about a dinky .25" or so...lack of "cam" was my theory.   More timing might help, but I worry about stress on the crank. 

I agree its  probably lack of cam .  I do have a recast inlet  Manifold on it   with the  complicated  passages  inherent in  those  so hope that there is not an  internal obstruction there . I  guess i should take the manifold off and    check  the passages are ok  by probing  them  . I guess I would look pretty stupid if there was some core sand   still left in there -Karl 

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2019 at 3:20 PM, Tom400CFI said:

I'm not sure why you're getting gasoline (vapor?) coming from the carb at WOT; it should be sucking it all in.  But IMO when you get good throttle sensitivity at low throttle angles and none at high, then that means the that the throttle bore is too big for the rest of the engine.  Since the manifold and ports seem large (larger than the throttle bore, and since the cam only opens the valves about a dinky .25" or so...lack of "cam" was my theory.   More timing might help, but I worry about stress on the crank. 

Tom I think I've  worked out the issue . Last night I started the car up to move  it  to get to some parts . In the  dark I could see something like the 4th July going on the  front of the magneto . The spark  plug wires were shorting out  between each other . I suspect this sometimes was causing  partial  ignition in a cylinder at the wrong time ie with the inlet  valve still open and the resulting  pressure wave out the inlet manifold  was pushing gas out of the carb. Some Insulating  tape and there is a much smoother  engine and no gas  vapour out the bottom of the carb. Karl 

• Like 1