2019 Metz Gathering in MA

MochetVelo

I have been off in the weeds for some time and have only very recently been able to touch my Metz. I am planning to attend. I might be able to get my car there.

A picture of it taken a year ago:

0827181635a.thumb.jpg.35d1a15a25bfde58a517b1bd8fa1d7f7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The annual Metz Gathering was a pleasure to attend as I was able to DRIVE my car from my home in Keene, NH to Waltham, MA. I have been wanting to bring it there since I acquired it three years ago but only this year was I able to do so. It is a real shame that the cars in attendance ten or so years ago no longer appear. I wonder what happened to those cars. I also wonder if the owners have just lost interest.  This event gives Metz owners a great opportunity to share notes, hints, successes and mistakes to further our enjoyment of these unique cars. I am looking forward to next year.

The round trip was about 150 miles.

My '14 Model 22 Torpedo Runabout at the Waltham Museum with Bob Mcgann, of the Waltham Museum, dressed as C.H. Metz.

66966344_2056200301342151_4193386775374200832_n.thumb.jpg.793719065b2d7894eb76032606763d5b.jpg

Edited by Bharper
I left out the mileage. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your appreciation of me driving to Waltham from Keene.   I have had this car for just over three years and this was the longest, successful, trip I have completed so far.

I have not been able to spend any time on the Metz for quite a while, having been off in the weeds and only a short time ago was able to return to the garden path and resume my Metz care. 

I had planned to use the car on the HCCA New England Brass & Gas tour this year, but while driving it up TO the tour I developed a significant coolant leak and had to return home.  I did not have time for a proper repair of the radiator before the Waltham meet and resorted to "band-aid" repairs, I'm embarrassed to admit. It appeared to hold well.

My journey started well, with the car running nicely as I reminded myself how to operate a friction drive car. I had travelled only about 16 miles when a particularly steep hill showed me that I could not downshift well and then had to pull over to the side of the road. Trying to climb the hill in first speed provided no forward motion and filled the air with the smell of burning paper. Heavy sigh.  Sensing the approach of defeat, I reached for the necessary wrenches with which to do battle and dove under the car to make adjustments to the pressure pedal. I did not drop the transmission cover to measure the clearance between the driving disk and the friction wheel, but adjusted the spacing on faith and the spring pressure by feel.

After crawling out from under the car and putting away the tools, I saw that my radiator band-aid was now weeping. Another heavy sigh. I topped off the water and started the engine.    I tried really hard to sense the slip and grab of the friction wheel against the driving disk and worked to feather the pressure pedal to get the necessary balance which would allow the car to climb the hill without further burning of the friction wheel and without stalling the engine. Oh, and without letting the brake slip too much and the car rolling backwards.

[This is where I mention to those not familiar with the Metz that both the pressure pedal and the brake pedal LOCK DOWN when depressed, unless held "just so" with the ball of your foot, and will require a toe tap to release them.]

A few challenging and instructive moments ensued and the car began to move forward and climb the hill!  I felt a great sense of gratitude as I crested the summit  and reflected on feathering of the pressure pedal. My route to Waltham from Keene had my on lightly travelled roads so I was able to pay attention to pedal pressure, engine speed, and road speed in order to apply just enough pedal pressure and no more.

I found that I had to stop about every 45 or so minutes to refill the radiator top tank. The car presented me with no additional problems.

I will comment that traversing the roundabout at Route 2 in Concord, MA was fraught with danger and a bit of terror. The great congestion of downtown Waltham was extremely unpleasant and it was a huge relief when the Waltham Museum hove into sight.

The return trip only required the regular stops for water. 

My car was the only one driven to the meet. Dave Adams trailered his not yet running 1911 Plan Car and Bill Metz trailered his 1917 Model 25 from New York. 

66457168_2056200251342156_3573065001000239104_n.jpg

100_6481.JPG

66494804_2056203804675134_8010746724442177536_n.jpg

67159552_2056200344675480_94728050628886528_n.jpg

100_6483.JPG