1961 Buick Special Wagon, Wants New Wheels

Rollin-360

The 1961-63 Special and Olds F-85 use a 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern. This is the same bolt pattern used by 1960s vintage Mustangs, Falcons, and Comets with the six cylinder engine. Note that the Mustang II and Fox-body cars do NOT use that same pattern.  I got a set of vintage 14" slot mags from a six cylinder Mustang for my F-85 wagon.

I'm not sure about Buick, but the Olds offered optional 15" wheels on the 1962-63 cars and 14" wheels in 63. These are relatively rare. I had to search for a few years to find four of the 15" wheels. Wheel Vintiques sells new aftermarket 15" wheels to fit this bolt pattern also. And finally, a number of foreign cars used the 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern, including RWD cars like early RX7s and 260Z and 280Z cars. The wheels are out there.

IMG_20180804_125544804.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for the knowledge of the 4 x 4 1/2,

So I was set to head out for new wheels today, Although last night after  20 mile cruise, Pretty sure the bearings seized in the generator, Screachy noise for about 5 minutes then solid squeal and the gen light came on. Already have new regulator in car. 

I’m at work till this afternoon then I was planning on removing the generator and having rebuilt here in town. 

70CEE483-067F-48FA-8057-33647640F1B5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rollin-360 said:

Thank you for the knowledge of the 4 x 4 1/2,

So I was set to head out for new wheels today, Although last night after  20 mile cruise, Pretty sure the bearings seized in the generator, Screachy noise for about 5 minutes then solid squeal and the gen light came on. Already have new regulator in car. 

I’m at work till this afternoon then I was planning on removing the generator and having rebuilt here in town.

I've converted my 62 to a CS130 alternator with internal regulator. I used the bracket from a 1963 215 with factory alternator and swapped the pulley from the original generator onto the alternator. It's been in there for nearly nine years now with zero issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Just saw this site and joined. Saw what I think was your car on Youtube for sale in a ad I think.Video showed it looking quite good. I used to belong to the Buick Bombsite but couldn't find it anymore on line and found this site. I started to work on my 1961 Special wagon many years ago but due to my ex's opinions, I finally just put it in storage and closed the door and never worked on it again.(about 20 years ago). Time flies. I know alot about the car from years ago doing research. I work for Dana Corp. they made the Buick 215 engine I found out while researching. The patent was sold to Land Rover in late 1963 and they used the engine until I think close to 2000. I used to have a list of all the rims (factory) that would interchange.Spent several years collecting parts, online/manuals/brochures and any misc info I could find. Wish I had gotten it done and driveable...But seeing yours and the Video on e-bay made me smile.  The engine was used on the words fastest monocycle, motorcycles,planes,boats,and small cars like Triumps/MG's to better the speed to weight ratio. And if I remember correctly alot of people converted the engines to 350 status by boaring and changing crank/piston sizes.Hope you have a great time with the car.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:33 PM, joe_padavano said:

The 1961-63 Special and Olds F-85 use a 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern. This is the same bolt pattern used by 1960s vintage Mustangs, Falcons, and Comets with the six cylinder engine. Note that the Mustang II and Fox-body cars do NOT use that same pattern.  I got a set of vintage 14" slot mags from a six cylinder Mustang for my F-85 wagon.

I'm not sure about Buick, but the Olds offered optional 15" wheels on the 1962-63 cars and 14" wheels in 63. These are relatively rare. I had to search for a few years to find four of the 15" wheels. Wheel Vintiques sells new aftermarket 15" wheels to fit this bolt pattern also. And finally, a number of foreign cars used the 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern, including RWD cars like early RX7s and 260Z and 280Z cars. The wheels are out there.

IMG_20180804_125544804.jpg

Question; Do these optional 15" wheels have a 4 lug pattern or are they like all the 61-63 Tempest with a 5 lug on 4 1/2' bolt pattern on a 15" wheel?

BTW it's not coincidental that Tempest used 15" wheels and Buick and Olds used 13" wheels. 

On 6/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, Rollin-360 said:

Hi everyone. Can someone point me in the direction of finding out which wheels will fit on my wagon, Currently has 13 inch stock with hub caps. I was thinking maybe the 15 inch wheel with less tire, Thanks in advance

You don't even need less tire because the stock 61-63 Pontiac Tempest "Y" body uses from the factory 15" wheels and a tall for these days 6.50 - 15 so there's plenty of room.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Question; Do these optional 15" wheels have a 4 lug pattern or are they like all the 61-63 Tempest with a 5 lug on 4 1/2' bolt pattern on a 15" wheel?

BTW it's not coincidental that Tempest used 15" wheels and Buick and Olds used 13" wheels. 

The 61-63 Olds and Buick Y-body cars only came with the 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern, so yeah, the 15" wheels are four bolt. Olds offered optional 15" wheels in 1962 and both 14" and 15" wheels in 1963.