Delco 940 T2 Generator help

Glenn Manes

Hello all,

There is a member in our club who has a bad generator on his 31 model 8-67.  Delco 940T2 2.  We have had it to a couple of shops here in Denver area, but have had no success in getting it repaired.  Does anyone have a good spare they are willing to part with, or know if a reputable shop that can possibly rebuild the one we have?   We have been told that the problem is in the winding.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn Manes

Wheat Ridge CO

IMG_2396.JPG

Is the problem in the field windings in the outer shell or is it in the armature windings?  I have some used spare parts that I think will fit yours.  They came from a 32 Buick.  I will do some research tomorrow and see what I have and the condition of the parts. I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon.  

Bob Engle

The 940-T2  was used in 1931 and 1932  Series 60,80 and 90.  I didn't get a chance to test the armature and field windings on the ones that I have.  I'll do that tomorrow.  It would be helpful to know which unit is is bad.  The armature can be checked on a growler and a ohmmeter can check the field windings for  a short or an open winding.  If a shop can't perform these tests, don't rust them for a proper repair.

Bob Engle

I checked my parts pile and the armature I have is shorted and I sold the windings from the housing.  Sorry I can't help.  there are companies that can rewind armatures as long as the commutators are good, and make new windings for the housing.

Bob Engle

Glenn,

I would talk with Rex Curtiss at Precision Power in Lansing, Michigan.  His number is - (800) 794-5962  The website is - www.precision-pwr.com  These folks are the best in the business with the old stuff.  Please tell him that I sent you his way.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Glen,

You might put in a call to Scott Morton (he was parked next to your 1913 at last weekend's show).  He mentioned to me that he had problem with the loss of the latent magnetism of the generator.  He found a guy who "remagnetized" the offending unit (I think armature).  You can reach Scott at samorton@wyo.edu.

PS: I found the phenolic I need for the Pierce Arrow through McMaster-Carr.

Regards;  Jon Kanas