65 Riv - rear 3 anchor point seatbelt?

moran75

Hi all

There is a company here in UK that suggest they can retro fit 3 (as opposed to 2 point lap belts) point seat belts , therefore suitable for child seats ...attached a pic from their website from a tri-chevy which shows how the all important top (call it third) anchor point comes through the parcel shelf..

To their credit they havn't gteed they can fit that all important third anchor point it on a 65 Riv - only that they have done in past on classic american cars. I'm going to see them next week..

Anyway, i want to go armed with a bit of knowledge..

I've attached a three pics of my car with seats out and possible points of attachment circled -- two pics of same point right behind seat, in corner and one behind underneath parcel shelf..I stress  I am no way an expert ..

Any opinions as to whether those circled areas - or indeed any other points -   are suitable for the third anchor point?

Or not safe/possible at all..

Thanks in advance

Kevin

IMG_1085.PNG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

11 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

I had 3 point seat belts installed in my ‘63 in 2016. Have a look at this for the rear:

interesting....so you obviously decided all the existing sheet metal was not suitable for the third anchor point?

1 hour ago, moran75 said:

interesting....so you obviously decided all the existing sheet metal was not suitable for the third anchor point?

I needed to have this certified by an engineer who informed us that the forces in a collision are so strong that one needed to built something that could withstand those forces. Just have a look at a modern car and you will see that there are some strong setups to anchor the seat belts.

One doesn’t need to add seat belts to an old car in Australia but if one would like to install them then the installation needed to be certified by an engineer and have a reasonable chance to work.

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

i installed my three point lap sash in my ‘63 with the upper mount in thru the parcel shelf. It is right in the corner and had to borrow a right angled air drill to drill the hole as there is no good access underneath. I think I used a reinforcement plate along with correct seat bolt anchor bolts and nuts. Both seem fine and the position does not cut across your shoulder.

Can supply more pics if you need!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

833CCBC3-BD04-42C5-91C7-A82C6502D74F.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi, 

i installed my three point lap sash in my ‘63 with the upper mount in thru the parcel shelf. It is right in the corner and had to borrow a right angled air drill to drill the hole as there is no good access underneath. I think I used a reinforcement plate along with correct seat bolt anchor bolts and nuts. Both seem fine and the position does not cut across your shoulder.

Can supply more pics if you need!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

833CCBC3-BD04-42C5-91C7-A82C6502D74F.png

Yes please... much appreciated ...

On 6/19/2019 at 1:57 AM, moran75 said:

Yes please... much appreciated ...

Here is what I was able to do to fit them in, as mentioned borrowed a right angle drill to get in the space and used a large reinforcing washer underneath. Black is a sound deadening material. You can see the nut just above the wire. The belt is far enough outboard to not cut across the neck of the wearer. This is the RHS shown.

hope this helps others.

Rodney

E2A9A0D2-6FDC-4DF9-A397-3E7125239A2A.png

B3ED4B12-3A5F-4780-9455-EFCBFE51D890.jpeg