51 Buick on a 84 Cadillac Frame

I have a 1951 Buick Super Riviera 2 dr HT and have purchased a 1984 Cadillac with the same wheelbase for a donor frame. The Caddy body has been removed and the driveline and most of the parts that could be used were saved. The Buick body will be removed from it's frame in the new year and switched to the Caddy frame. I was wondering if anyone with a 1951 to 1953 Buick has already performed this swap and if there were any MAJOR problems encountered. It looks like it should be an easy switch and I plan to use the small 249 cu. in. V8 Fuel Injected engine for the time being. I saved the wiring harness from the Caddy to be modified for use in the Buick body. My 51 Super requires a complete restoration and the objective is to have the vehicle APPEAR as stock as possible but make it more driveable.

My question relates to the mechanical problems that might be encountered in the swap from anyone who has done this before. Thanks in Advance.

One of our chapter members "re-framed" a '49 Roadmaster Riviera a while back. It looks stock as it sits at the curb (except when you looked through the factory Cadillac wire wheels to see the 4 wheel disc brakes or looked under it to see the rear sway bar or when you saw it go around a corner pretty quick). I think he used a '79 Cadillac donor for that deal (which also had the same wheelbase length as the Buick did). I recall him saying most of the frame mounts were in the same place for both cars--or close enough they were usable.

Another chapter member wanted to wring his neck for desecreating a low production and collectible car, but then he saved it from a field and the crusher. Other than the loose pillow look interior, tilt column, and the few external cues, it still has the factory chrome and everything. He also drives it anywhere he wants to go.

If you have any questions, email me and I'll get you the address of our member who did that deal.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

To All, Seems my thoughts were not so crazy after all. I have an 83 Caddy Coupe Deville that I would like to use for my 53 Buick Super. The Buick is really rough and my budget it small. Im looking for the fastest and most reasonable way of getting my car drivable. If I could put my body on the Caddy frame that would solve alot of my problems. If anyone with info could help its appreciated. hotrodz@optonline.net

Thanks

Brian

• 17 years later...